Job Ref.: 5129
Job Title: Estimator
Role: Engineering, Science, or Related
Relocation Available: No
Town / City: York
Job Type: Permanent full-time
The estimator is responsible for analyzing blueprints, specifications, quotes and other documentation to prepare an all-inclusive quality and accurate bid submission.
• Prepare Competitive Estimates
• Follow Project Delivery Process
• Develop & Maintain Client Relationships
• Communication- Internal and External
Essential Functions and Duties:
• Maintain a bid checklist for each job
• Abide by bid and project delivery process
• Maintain up to date bid load and reconcile with the Project Coordinator
• Upload project documents to Sharefile for vendors and subcontractors
• Review all contract documents to become familiar with project requirements and obligations under the contract and apply to pricing (schedule, specifications, drawings, safety manual, etc.), reviewing documents for accuracy and consistency.
• Submit RFIs for estimating questions by deadline
• Perform material take off
• Establish a construction schedule to develop manpower for estimate. Include milestones, shutdowns, etc.
• Obtain vendor and subcontractor quotes and evaluate for completeness and best price for use in bid (Abide by our purchasing policy and ethics)
• Distribute qualification documents as required for the bid (MBE, WBE, experience, key individuals, etc.)
• Complete an Excel Front Sheet to generate price
• Develop a detailed proposal letter or bid form (If completed by assistant provide ample time)
• Participate in the estimate review process with internal and external stake holders; Upon award notify supervisor immediately
• Generate award documents for review to be submitted by deadline
• Identify areas of importance (milestones, LDs, etc.) of a project and relay to PM and Foreman
• Identify possible change orders and relay to PM and Foreman
• Review purchase orders, subcontracts and contracts for accuracy
• Assist in the purchase of materials, services, and subcontracts in accordance with the purchasing policy
• Review/approve and/or forward submittals for shop drawings and samples for materials according to project requirements and schedules if Project manager needs assistance
• Assure complete and thorough pre-construction planning and distribution of all documents in accordance with the pre-construction and project delivery
• Facilitate a scope review with the PM and Foreman; assist construction personnel at the onset of the project life-cycle in tracking and understanding basis and approach to the cost estimate
• Attend the pre-construction meeting
• Attend project meetings as needed
• Attend Focus and WIP meetings as required
• Estimate change order costs, and assist with the preparation and submission of change orders as requested
• Attend a Post Construction Meeting and/or up at the end of the project to provide lessons learned in the estimating process.
• Good oral and written English language expression.
• Strong communication, organizational, analytical, leadership and relationship skills.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
• Ability to prepare construction schedules in Microsoft Project and/or Primavera P6.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and work under pressure.
• Self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision.
• Manage time efficiently.
Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering Finance, Accounting, or another related field, or an acceptable combination of education and experience, validating experience levels.
Five years or more related experience in the electrical or construction industry performing cost estimates and estimating knowledge of electric distribution, transmission and substation projects are required.
Experience in understanding project “blueprints”, design drawings, specification, proposals and other documentation to prepare time/cost/equipment/labor/material estimates for projects and services.
Valid Driver’s License required to operate company or personal vehicle for company business.
Bottom Line Requirements:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering Finance, Accounting, or related.
2. 5+ years of experience in the electrical or construction industry performing cost estimates.
3. Estimating knowledge of electric distribution, transmission and substation projects.
4. Experience in understanding project “blueprints”, design drawings, specification, proposals and other documentation to prepare estimates.
5. Must be local.