$47,424 / year + Full-Time County Benefits. The Williamsburg Regional Library, winner of the 2018 ELGL silver award for best public library in the United States, seeks an innovative and engaging individual to coordinate, evaluate, present and assess adult programming in the library buildings, working to ensure that programming offered by the division meets the goals of the division director and supports the strategic direction of Williamsburg Regional Library. The ideal candidate is one who can take a leadership role in planning and executing large- and small-scale adult programming and has experience in managing and evaluating projects.
• Initiates, plans, and conducts a variety of programs and activities to encourage the use of the library and its collection to adults and young adults, including but not limited to lectures, films, special events, tours, author visits, reading groups, etc.
• Coordinate with other librarians, library divisions and community partners to provide library services and programs to the community.
• Provide exemplary customer service on the public service desks and in the community.
• Perform meaningful work providing reference and readers’ advisory.
• Develops and implements workshops and training for individuals and groups; researches in-depth reference questions; develops specialized collections, including electronic and online resources; and serves as a library liaison to these segments of the community.
• Assists with the adult services division’s operations, including maintaining, updating and interpreting the adult services division’s and the library’s policies and procedures; resolves staff, user, equipment and building problems as needed;
• Improves the quality of library services through individual and general staff development, including attendance at workshops and conferences; serves on library committees; trains other staff as appropriate; supervises designated volunteer projects.
• Master of Library Science (MLS) degree from an accredited American Library Association (ALA) college required; some experience in and commitment to public service; and some public library experience preferred.
• Experience overseeing volunteers and staff assistants
• Must possess or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire a valid VA driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Knowledge of both print and electronic reference sources, computers and personal electronic devices and current trends in library services for adults and young adults; the principles, practices and techniques of library services, including collection development, outreach, programming, readers’ advisory, and reference for adult and young adult audiences; adult and young adult literature and of reference sources and research techniques; knowledge of supervisory principles and skills.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite, digital resources, commonly used applications, and social media; oral and written communication.
• Ability to effectively work with users of all ages and other library personnel; plan and organize daily work and special projects.
• Ability to establish and maintain relationships with library administration and staff members, government/school/community officials and personnel, vendors, and the public. Ability to be an effective ambassador for the library and represent the library in a positive manner. Ability to work well under pressure.
Accepting applications until 11:59pm EST on 9/14/2019 or when filled, whichever comes first. Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov