BC OB/GYN Bronx, NY et
Obstetrics & Gynecology Bronx, NY (ds)
We are a unique and forward thinking not-for-profit, non-denominational health system. We are the primary clinical affiliate of CUNY School of Medicine (formerly “Sophie Davis”), and a 460 bed acute care teaching hospital that provides care for an urban “safety net” population in mid-Bronx. We unfailingly receive high patient satisfaction scores, particularly in women’s health services. We have a pleasant, renovated physical plant and, more importantly, a progressive and encouraging work culture. Our “Triple AIM Plus” philosophy is dedicated to delivering superior patient care, improving the health and wellness of our patients and their community, doing so efficiently, and continuously cultivating staff and patient satisfaction. Our “Drive to Excellence” document is available for your review.
The hospital administration holds semi-monthly “town halls” for all employees and affiliated clinicians and are particularly supportive of the OB/GYN service.
• We are currently constructing a unique Health and Wellness Center that has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Crain’s and other media.
• The Center will include low income housing, community services, and 40,000ft of clinical space, including an 18,000ft “Mind/Body Center and a nearly 10,000ft Woman’s’ Comprehensive Health Center.
• There is tremendous optimism about the future of our health system, even in these challenging financial times.
• Our OBGYN practice is a “captive P.C.” of our Health System–our clinical staff is employed by the PC or by Union Community Health Center, our sister FQHC.
• Our department includes 14 full-time OBGYNs, part-time MFMs (with 24/7 coverage), a part-time GYN Oncologist, and 8 experienced midwives and/or mid- level clinicians.
• Many of us have been here for well over a decade, a testament our dedication to the department and our mission.
• We are a vibrant and cohesive group. Our clinicians cover the hospital with two physicians every night, holiday, and weekend. On weekdays, a midwife and a physician cover the service.
• Our practice provides care at three major clinic sites, three smaller “private style” offices, and a number of non-affiliated freestanding ambulatory sites.
• A significant percentage of our clientele speak Spanish. Translation phones are readily available but Spanish can be very helpful in this community.
• The traditional schedule for a physician includes four clinical weekdays. One day every other week is covering in-house patients, consults, and labor and delivery along with a midwife. One day every other week is protected OR time, shared with one or two other attendings. Other days include ambulatory care and/or administrative time.
• Each month physicians take three in-house weekday overnight calls (with a post-call day off) and one weekend 24 hour shift. Additional call sessions are often available with supplemental compensation.
• We are joined by CUNY medical students and rotating residents. This model provides logistical support to our clinical staff and patients, as well as educational opportunities and academic inspiration, while also protecting the attendings’ opportunity to fully manage a broad spectrum of surgical opportunities.
• An alternative hospitalist-style schedule typically including 2~25hr shifts weekly including in house, OR, and smaller degree of ambulatory care responsibilities along with one weekend shift monthly (only one weekday shift that week). In our experience, this
schedule has been appropriate for more experienced attendings. We place emphasis on a safe clinical environment, “crew resource management” (team building) and communication, management bundles, as well as patient and provider satisfaction.
• We take pride in our evidence-based practice and we employ a full-time perinatal safety officer to assure optimal care and education. We provide APS/GNOSIS online education to the entire OB healthcare team; we have weekly case review conferences and a journal club.
• We maintain ultrasound units in our L&D, fetal testing unit, OR, and ED as well as some of our ambulatory sites.
• We perform approximately 900-1000 deliveries annually among a relatively high-risk OB population; yet we carefully maintain a low cesarean section rate and unparalleled outcomes.
• We have onsite MFM services (including ultrasound imaging), 24hr anesthesia and neonatology coverage and a level 3a NICU.
• We have 5 modern operating suites. We maintain the expertise and resources to provide a broad spectrum of minimally invasive surgery and basic uro-gynecologic procedures. We have a monthly urodynamics clinic and several specialty pelvic floor therapists. We also have on-site gynecologic oncology services including major surgeries. Attending physicians generally perform major surgeries in tandem and on-call is always with another attending, making this a great place to expand one's knowledge and experience during the critical years following residency or to establish a lifelong career.
• A wide variety of cases and volume offer new graduates the opportunity to take oral boards as early as their 1st year in practice. Board pass rate for recent graduates has been 100% for past 5 years. Our service also offers substantial opportunities for clinical and professional growth, including the possibility of undertaking satisfying leadership roles in our division and we are now recently transitioning to an optional model of “sub-specialization within general OBGYN”.
• We use Sunrise Care Manager (Allscripts) for inpatient and outpatient documentation and eClinicalWorks in some of the smaller ambulatory sites. Labor care is documented and archived and in GE Centricity Perinatal (CPN/QS).
Full time employment entitles physicians to a generous package including:
• Individual or family health insurance policy choices (with modest employee contribution)
• 401K pension plan; with a 3% safe harbor (vesting over 5 years) and a 1% employer
match for employee contributions
• Term life insurance
• Optional participation in a group long term disability plan
• Professional medical liability insurance (occurrence or equivalent)
• 20 days’ vacation & 4 elective days per year (based on a 4-day work week)
• 5 CME days per year with stipend (also based on a 4- day work week)
Our mission is to get you healthy and stay healthy regardless of your ability to pay. We
hope you and your loved ones enjoy our beautiful nine-acre campus located in the heart of the Bronx. We also have locations throughout the Bronx where you can see other primary care providers and specialists. Across from the hospital we are building a new health and wellness center with over 300 affordable housing units. The center will have a health clinic, gym, pharmacy, healthy food café, farmer’s market, and daycare center. Patients can take healthy cooking classes, learn how to lose weight, and even grow fruits and vegetables on a rooftop garden. The center is scheduled to open in Fall 2019.
We are proud to be a teaching hospital for medical students and residents on their way to becoming doctors. This includes students from Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education/CUNY School of Medicine, New Your Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
The hospital has over 400 beds, and is a Level 2 Trauma Center, with an AIDS Center and Stroke Center. In addition, we have state-of-the-are ambulatory surgery and hemodialysis centers, a cardiac catheterization laboratory, a state-designated Level III Perinatal Center, an Infusion Center, an expanded hospice unit, and a federally-designated Community Center of Excellence in Women's Health, all opened. As part of its extensive outreach program, a mobile mammography program began. Upgrades were made to the laboratory and centers of cancer and cardiac care with the arrival of the most advanced technology.
Today, our Health System provides access to much-needed healthcare services in the Bronx.