Vehicle Service Group
Per the job description below, this is an opening for the position of Staff Accountant. Qualified individuals interested in applying for this position should email a copy of your resume to or visit our website and search for the Staff Accountant position on the "Career Opportunities" Link on the homepage.
POSITION TITLE: Staff Accountant
EXEMPTION STATUS: Salaried Exempt
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Controller
LOCATION: Madison, Indiana
This position will work with business and functional leaders to continually improve operational reporting to support better decision making, accountability, and efficiency. Financial analysis is a key requirement that will require a high degree of judgment and a technical thought process. Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles is required to be able to assess the accuracy and integrity of transactions affecting the general ledger. Tasks will include preparation of journal entries and analysis of transactions, monthly balance sheet account reconciliations, compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley, and assistance with audits. The position will apply technical expertise to gather data and provide analysis and research to ensure required sales tax returns are filed accurately and timely.
Responsibilities: Percentage of Time
Perform accounting entries for payroll. Reconcile balance sheet accounts monthly using the company Cadency software system. Calculate and mail 1099s for vendors.
Participate in the monthly closing including closing journal entries and sub-ledger reconciliations done timely and accurately and in accordance with GAAP. This includes analysis, interpretation, and reporting of budget and actual variance and financial results for specific accounts. Coordinate and communicate financial results up and down the organization. 15%
Take an active role in facilitating understanding of business results for the accounts assigned and be willing to take on ad hoc analytical projects to improve business performance. 10%
Perform the customer invoicing process. 30%
Responsible for accounting of specific Balance Sheet accounts, including prepaid expenses, temporary labor and other assigned accounts. 10%
Take ownership of assigned accounts and identify issues and report to management any concerns that could affect the integrity of the financial statements. Reconcile assigned Balance Sheet accounts monthly using the company Cadency software system. Take initiative for process improvements. 10%
• Degree in Accounting, Finance or business related field
• Proficiency in Excel spreadsheets and Windows is required
• Strong attention to detail with business acumen
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to work under minimal supervision and use own initiatives
• Accounting experience in a US publicly traded company
• Sarbanes-Oxley and Lean Accounting experience
• Experience in handling state sales taxes
• Experience handling cash receipts for a US publicly traded company
• Salaried position with a bonus opportunity
• Medical, dental, vision and 401k options available as of first date of employment
• Holiday and vacation compensation eligible as of first date of employment
• Full time position performed during standard business hours between 8am-5pm
The above description represents a general synopsis of the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a comprehensive listing of all requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Equal Opportunity Employer