A Surface Mount Technology (SMT) Process Engineer is responsible for maintaining the efficiency and effectiveness of all related manufacturing equipment and processes required to manufacture high quality product in a repeatable and cost-efficient manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develops and implements advanced processes and SMT methodologies; creates, edits, and maintains work instructions and process documentation.
• Performs defect and failure analysis for SMT and Through-hole processes.
• Leads improvements in process yield, quality, cycle time, inventory accuracy, delivery, and cost.
• Drives continuous improvement in labor costs through waste reduction, production efficiency, and operations improvement.
• Leads a team of SMT Machine Operators, Process Technicians, and Maintenance.
• Develops and maintains Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) for SMT processes.
• Supports Supply Chain in establishing sourcing and stocking levels of components; establishes Kanban system for component replenishment.
• Develops and maintains automation programming (Pick & Place Equipment).
• Supports New Product Introduction (NPI) and Design for Excellence (DFx) activities.
• Determines capital equipment needs and assists in the budget process for equipment, training, software, and equipment installation projects.
• Inspects products using X-Ray, AOI, and optical methods.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Working knowledge of IPC-A-600, IPC-A-610, J-STD-001
• Proficiency with computer software programs (Microsoft product, CAD software), MRP systems, and placement programming.
• Experience in working in a Lean Manufacturing environment.
• Exceptional communication skills
• Good analytical skills; problem solving methodologies (5-Why, A3, 8d, Pareto, etc.)
• Very detail-oriented, accurate and organized
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
• Able to work independently and as part of a team
• Confidentiality and Time Management
• Education Required: Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering from an accredited College or University.
• Experience Required: 4+ years’ Electronics Manufacturing experience in SMT and Through-hole manufacturing processes, programming and support of automated placement systems and solder reflow processes.