QA Lab Supervisor – Food Safety - 5458
Relocation Available: Yes
Town / City: St. John
Job Type: Permanent full-time
The Quality Lab Supervisor is the person in charge of implementing, maintaining enforcing and upgrading company’s Quality and Food Safety Program, including the Global Food Safety Initiative certification status. The individual ensures that all employees are trained and consistently implements these programs. The individual supervises the Quality Assurance Lab that performs microbiological, analytical, chemical and sensory assays of raw and finished materials. This individual will train and run the BRC documentation program and audit.
Principal Duties as QA Lab Supervisor:
• Develop, implement, and maintain Quality Assurance and Food Safety programs. Monitor compliance against these programs in all functional departments. Lead or assist and/or oversee routine training of Food Safety and Quality programs. Review and oversee Food Safety and Quality record keeping and documentation.
• Supervise the Quality Assurance Lab and its personnel. The QA Lab is responsible for analytical testing and assaying of incoming raw materials, calibrating on-going production, and testing finished product against customer functional requirements. Must be able to provide rapid and reliable results by which Production is based.
• Oversee COA production for customers on finished product per their instructions. Communicate with customers on results of testing, audits and complaints.
• Oversee the facility’s on-going environmental swabbing program. Participates in Lab Proficiency testing program.
• Supervise the Lab quality control program by ensuring all lab analytical equipment is properly calibrated, documentation is in place and in good working order.
• Oversee and serve as a point person in pursuit and maintenance of Global Food Safety Initiative accreditation.
• Ensure compliance with Kosher and Organic Certifications.
• Back up product formulation for weekly Production Schedule.
• Audit QA Lab Standard Operating Procedures and Job Hazard Analyses annually.
• Track absenteeism, time-keeping, and safety violations
• Reading and running the microbial swapping and testing program
• Organic audit documentation and compliance
• Reviewing over the day to day paperwork to be sure all is complete and compliant
• Review the Ingredient COA’s
• Run and manage the proficiency program for the QA lab
• Provide production assistance if any formula issues arise
• Deal with customers as needed and customer complaints as they arise
• Training to run the BRC documentation process and audit program
• Create BRC documentation as needed and keeping up to date with current audit changes as needed
• Lead employees to meet the organization's expectations for productivity, quality, and goal accomplishment
• Serve as a backup to develop specification sheets and other product information as requested by current and potential customers
• All other duties as assigned
• High school education or higher, ideally with a college degree in Food Science, Food Chemistry or Microbiology
• Knowledge and experience with HACCP concepts, implementation and coordination
• Knowledge of GFSI audit and BRC audit in particular is a must for this position
• Understanding of lab operations including equipment maintenance and calibration
• 5 years of Quality Assurance experience with at least 1 year in a supervisory capacity
• Must have ability to effectively discipline and encourage team members to meet customer expectations for quality and safety
• Knowledge of food industry trends and concepts
• Excellent people skills with ability to work with individuals from different disciplines
• Excellent verbal, analytical, and organizational skills
• Must have experience with writing quality and food safety documents such as standard operating procedures and policies as they relate to these programs
• Must be able to effectively develop, implement and improve programs serving the food safety and quality of products
• Must be able to effectively train individuals and monitor compliance
• Ability to multi-task effectively
Bottom Line Requirements:
1. High school education or higher, ideally with a college degree in Food Science, Food Chemistry or Microbiology.
2. Knowledge and experience with HACCP concepts, implementation and coordination.
3. Knowledge of GFSI audit and BRC audit.
4. Understanding of lab operations including equipment maintenance and calibration.
5. 5 years of Quality Assurance experience with at least 1 year in a supervisory capacity.