The Financial Analyst supports the Controller in managing project profitability and ensuring financial integrity. This position takes an active role in managing project revenue and margin, weekly and monthly reporting, and controlling key parts of the balance sheet. This role will also participate in the month end close process, forecast and budget development, and making sure proper internal controls are in place.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities & Deliverables
1. Perform daily, weekly and monthly processes in the ERP system to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of financial information.
2. Lead the project review meetings, working closely with the project managers, to forecast revenue and cost changes. This includes reporting any impact on profitability.
3. Develop and track actions from project cost reviews to mitigate issues.
4. Perform month end close:
a. Ensure manual and system transaction accounts reconcile to applicable ERP reports.
b. Close all open accounting issues prior to, or on, the last day of the month.
c. Explain any variances to forecast and budget.
d. Issue reports as required.
e. Prepare routine journal entries.
5. Manage key balance sheet accounts, such as warranty and contingency accruals.
6. Track bookings, sales, and margin on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
7. Monitor invoicing milestones and report on any risk or opportunities to cash flow.
8. Participate in the preparation of the monthly forecast, annual budget and strategic plan.
9. Coordinate and address any issues in the ERP system (Microsoft Dynamics AX) with fellow cost accountants and controllers.
10. Track and analyze hours charged to projects by Engineering and Project Managers. Support management to determine if hours are charged adequately.
11. Protect the financial integrity of the company by enforcing and auditing Howden policies and ensuring Sarbanes Oxley compliance. This includes working extensively with internal and external auditors to demonstrate necessary controls are in place and operating in accordance to Howden policy.
12. Engage in continuous improvement for processes included in and adjacent to the job role.
13. Recognize and resolve customer satisfaction issues (both internal and external).
14. Follow safe work practices by attending all required EH&S training, reporting safety incidents and near misses on a timely basis and maintaining the goal of “zero” lost time incidents.
Key Performance Indicators
1. 100% on time and accurate financial reporting.
2. Effective utilization of the ERP system.
3. Timely reporting of potential variances to support business decisions.
4. Passing of internal and external audits for Sarbanes Oxley and company policy compliance.
Experience, Competencies and Education
• Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting.
• 5 years of experience in accounting, with a preference for project accounting experience.
• Ability to organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Broad business knowledge; must understand how a business works and impact of decisions with regard to profitability, quality, forecasting etc.
• Logical problem solving skills, outstanding organizational skills and dedication to quality and integrity. Proven ability to quickly assess complex issues and identify root causes/key success factors.
• The positive attitude, ethics, and values necessary to support the company's mission and a high performance culture.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills that will enable the successful candidate to favorably influence leaders, peers, staff, etc. Must possess the right balance of mental toughness, communication skills, and self-confidence to successfully learn and operate within the organizational structure.
• Drive, style and intellect required to make an immediate contribution as well as growing within the organization and role.
• Experience with ERP systems and advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
• Willingness to travel domestically as necessary.
• Project accounting preferred.
• MS AX Dynamics ERP experience preferred.
Primary Customer/Supplier Relationships
• Finance Team Members
• Project Managers
• Divisional Shared Services External
• Customers in special circumstances
Environmental Working Conditions
• Computer use
• Accounts Clerk – F390 Month End Close
• Accounts Clerk – O180 PM, Eng, Drawing Office and Service Timesheets
• Cost Accountant – F030 Periodic Project Forecast Review
• Cost Accountant – F070 Recognizing Percentage of Completion Revenue
• Cost Accountant – F080 Setting a Project to Stage In Progress Closed
• Cost Accountant – F085 Project Stage Closed Warranty to Finished
• Cost Accountant – F110 Entering Exchange Rates on a Project
• Cost Accountant – F390 Month End Close
• Cost Accountant – O130 Manufacturing Work Order
• Cost Accountant – O315 Periodic Stock Check
• Cost Accountant – P020 Project Handover to Project Stage In Progress
• Cost Accountant – P030 Project Amendment
• FX Coordinator – F110 Entering Exchange Rates On a Project (CPD Only)
• FX Coordinator – F190 Exchange Rate Adjustments On Purchase Orders (CPD Only)
• View Limited
• Normally less than 10% travel. For specific projects, travel needs could be higher.
Medina, OH - accountant, accounting assistant, audit, c.p.a.,...
Medina, OH - accountant, mrp, accounting, manufacturing, plant,...
Staff Accountant (Entry Level)
Medina, OH - accountant, mds, controller, staff accountant,...
Senior Corporate Accountant
Valley City, OH - accountant, hyperion, oracle, company, corporate,...
Plant Accountant (hs)
Fairlawn, OH - accountant, plant, agriculture, accounting manager,...
Senior Financial Analyst
Cuyahoga Falls, OH - financial analyst, lotus, analyst, oracle,...
Norton, OH - accountant, accounting, ledger, sr, finance,...