T1036A R&D Dir Additives / PJF-R&DDirAdds-VA
This Position Description is intended to be a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the incumbent may differ from those outlined in this description and other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job.
M U S T: Candidate MUST be currently legally able to work in the USA.
DEPARTMENT: Research & Development
TITLE: R&D Director
FUNCTION: Research & Development
REPORTS TO: Sr. R&D Director or VP of R&D
JOB SUMMARY: Lead the definition and implementation of an R&D strategy for the Engine Oil Additives business. Assure R&D portfolio and resources effectively target SBU goals and are consistent with R&D strategy across business areas. Control costs and effectively manage people and facilities consistent with current budget and global business plans.
1. Oversee and assure that the administrative requirements of assigned area are met including:
• Performance appraisals
• Salary administration
• Interviewing/selection of new personnel
• Training, personnel development
• Career path development/succession planning
2. Develop or oversee development cost containment strategies and unit budgets to include:
• Approval of unit capital and expense budgets.
• Monitor and control costs
• Interface with Finance to assure accuracy of cost data
• Consult with other R&D Managers and other interested parties to communicate cost of services.
• Determine allocation of funds and manpower within assigned area.
3. Ensure R&D portfolio is consistent with business goals.
4. Lead a team of managers and professionals to develop new products or capabilities to meet the needs of our customers and OEMs consistent with our business strategy.
5. Work with global business managers and regional marketing managers to define a strategic technology plan that supports and achieves business goals. Plan. develop and communicate through Long Range Planning (LRP) process.
6. Oversee and ensure development, implementation and monitoring of a comprehensive safety program in assigned area. Areas of accountability will include: documentation of safety activities, monthly safety meetings, interactive safety inspections, group safety observation programs, safety training, JSA development, active reporting and corrective action programs.
7. Develop and sustain an environment which allows for individual growth and initiative and which allows creativity to flourish. Provide support, encouragement, and guidance to foster team development.
8. Work with Human Resources to ensure personnel needs and requirements are met, including but not limited to, identifying talent needs, interviewing and hiring new employees, identifying training and development opportunities, performance management, salary administration, and succession planning.
9. Develop and lead technical and safety training sessions. Assure that complete quality system documentation is maintained on all quality related activities. Participate in safety and quality activities and maintain an up-to-date understanding of the quality function
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE MINIMUMS:
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field such as Chemistry, Engineering or related discipline
Demonstrated business acumen, effective project management, strategic thinking and leadership skills in a chemical Engine Oil Additives R&D environment typically acquired after at least 15 years of relevant experience, including managerial level experience.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
Advanced degree in Chemistry or Engineering or MBA
Some international technical/business experience
Decision Making - Decision making in a timely manner based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; sometimes with incomplete information, under tight deadlines and pressure; while based upon appropriate risk and authority
Business Insight - The understanding of the basis for our business model and how that is realized in the market. The understanding of how business and operations are intimately linked. The ability to utilize information, practices & trends, affecting the business to engage and drive new strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
Analysis and Problem Solving - Solves difficult problems with effective solutions; asks good questions and questions all likely sources for answers; can solve complex problems and recognize complex patterns; utilizing all appropriate tools to reach a robust answer.
Communication - The ability to communicate information clearly and effectively in an engaging and convincing manner.
Coaching - The ability to provide the structure, environment and support for teaching, training and development of individuals and teams to enable them to achieve specific personal or professional results or goals.
Managing Performance - Possessing the drive and focus to achieve challenging goals.
Collaboration and Networking - The ability to work in and across our corporate organizational matrix to achieve business objectives, via engaging and rewarding interactions. Through this network provide support, exert influence . Influencing without authority.
Project Management - The ability to manage tasks and activities and achieve their completion within the agreed framework, across regional and organizational boundaries
Innovation - The openness to new ideas and the ability to generate breakthrough solutions. Can develop, seek out, critically assess and implement new and value adding concepts.
Dealing with Uncertainty - Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
Organizational Development - The ability to assess, analyses and implement changes to improve the overall performance and impact of the group / organization, including underlying behavioral, cultural, structural or tactical aspects
Personnel Management - Success in focusing, aligning, and building effective groups. The effective management of reporting staff, through empathy and understanding, clear definition of success, clarity of purpose and scaled responsibility / development. The ability to address and resolve conflicts in a positive and constructive manner
Strategic Insight, Definition and Implementation - The ability to engage in broad, complex analytical and conceptual thinking. Stepping beyond current status to assess broader issues and the development of new opportunities. Communication these insights and new approaches
Operational and Business Processes - Planning skills through the annual and LRP cycles, using preferred tools and frameworks and in alignment with the business strategy
Leadership - The ability to form a vision for the organization and the capacity to transform and align the organization around the new goal(s). Active personal awareness and development, developing the effective balance of humility, integrity and resilience to drive results.
Able to travel as required
Director of Product - R&D, Tech, Innovation, Development
Lawrence, KS - chemical engineering, cleaners, chemical,...
M2931J Midwest Industrial Coating Sales Rep / PJF- SaCtg-MW
Chicago, IL - coating, regional sales, coatings, representative,...
Account Manager - Industrial Chemical
Kansas City, MO - chemical, chemistry, account, waste management,...
Formulation Product Development
Charlotte, NC - formulation, vacancies, product development,...
Key Account Manager: Marketing. Advertising. Sales
Charleston, SC - key account, accounts, marketing, account manager,...
T1045A Sr. R&D Chemist Engine Oil Viscosity Improver /PJF-SrChEngO-VA
VA - chemist, polymer, point, oil, engine, 90k,...
M2823S Senior Chemist Coatings / PJF-SrChCtgs PA & WI
PA - chemist, coating, plastic, coatings, metal,...