Supervises day-to-day operations of the Histology & Accessioning Department and establishes guidelines to prioritize work production, evaluate effectiveness, and improve the quality of services provided
Essential Key Responsibilities
• Develops and implements laboratory policies, procedures, manuals, continuing education programs and safety initiatives to improve operating efficiency and effectiveness of medical services.
• Delegate’s authority, prioritizes work activities, resolves problems, prepares schedules, and sets deadlines to ensure timely completion of work.
• Responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, disciplining and
evaluating all laboratory personnel.
• Assures proper maintenance of laboratory equipment including routine daily maintenance and quality control of instrumentation and approves ordering of supplies and services.
• Complies with safety requirements when handling specimens and reagent
chemicals and coordinates the proper storage of hazardous materials and the
laboratory safety program.
• May perform duties as described for a HT or HTL, including, but not limited to simple processing of specimens, accessioning specimens, operating automated and computerized laboratory equipment, embedding, cutting, staining, coverslipping, labeling, and other functions necessary for prepare a slide for microscopic examination by a physician.
• Operates general laboratory equipment, including tissue processor, embedding, automatic microtome, automatic stainer and coverslipper, and recycler.
• Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information concerning, patients, physicians, employees, clients, vendors, and the Company.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Ensures compliance with all regulatory and licensure entities and complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as well as department rules, polices, and procedural manuals.
• May represent the laboratory and company at professional and society conferences on a local and national level.
Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare Administration or related science field
Minimum of 5 years experience as a Histotechnologist (HTL) (ASCP) or Histology Technician (HT) (ASCP) in a hospital or commercial laboratory setting, with 2 years in a supervisory role.
Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations
Certification as a Histotechnologist (ASCP or equivalent) or Histology Technician (ACSP or equivalent)
• Proficiency with microtomes, tissue processors, stainers, and all other equipment used to preserve specimens and produce a stained and labeled slide
• Ability to use computer and laboratory clinical information system for performance of daily tasks
• Personal protective equipment for safely handling and processing tissue specimens
• Knowledge of laboratory policies and procedures
• Knowledge of laboratory equipment and testing to monitor quality control checks and determine needs and evaluate equipment for purchase
• Knowledge of medical terminology to interact with medical staff regarding laboratory procedures and results
• Knowledge of safety requirements to provide instructions and to recognize and correct hazardous conditions
• Skill in performing a full range of laboratory tests
• Ability to determine budget needs and maintain expenditures within budget
• Ability to communicate clearly
Histology Technician or Technologist
Woodbury, NY - histology, technologist, laboratory,...
Suffern, NY - technologist, laboratory, medical technologist,...
Histology Supervisor on Long Island
Woodbury, NY - histology, laboratory, instrumentation, ascp,...
FGP Clinical Histology Tech I- Per Diem
New York, NY - histology, technologist, clinical laboratory,...
Brewster, NY - film, histology, plastics, lab, transmission,...
West Point, NY - biology, microbiology, technologist,...
Laboratory Instrumentation and Controls Maintenance Technician IV
Pearl River, NY - instrumentation, oil, calibration, laboratory,...