Fenton J. Lang
Simpsonville, South Carolina 29681
Accomplished Site Leader, certified as a Six Sigma Black Belt, with over 24 years of strategic management experience (14 with Honeywell International) in a fast paced manufacturing environment. Consistently promoted through proven initiative in developing processes and implementing change to continuously improve and delight our customer. Self-starter with a desire to take my knowledge and experience in Lean, Six Sigma, Engineering, Quality, Operations, Maintenance, and Management to the next level.
Rider University, Lawrenceville, New Jersey Master of Business Administration
West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia BS Mechanical Engineering
Kearfott Guidance and Navigation:
Director of Operations, Black Mountain, NC June 2007 – Present
Duties include oversight of Procurement, Production Control, Maintenance, Manufacturing Engineering, and Manufacturing in a 450 employee aerospace and defense component manufacturer. Direct and indirect reports included 32 Salary and over 325 Hourly. Customers include: Boeing, Raytheon, Honeywell, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, Sikorsky, Moog, AAI, Hamilton Sundstrand, General Electric, and others
• Reduced over one month’s past dues by 80% in ten months during a timeframe in which the business experienced 39% YOY top line growth.
• Implemented metric system throughout factory starting with delivery to internal customers, then expanded scope to include: Safety, Quality, inventory cycle counts, Shipping, and key Customer delivery performance.
• Implemented plant-wide Safety program to include monthly departmental audits, HAZMAT reduction, hazard education, and employee involvement.
• Led two Lean kaizen teams working with Honeywell and Boeing, which targeted Procurement, Receiving, and Incoming Inspection. Both teams yielded cycle time reductions of 55% and 85% respectively as well as internal past due reduction of over 90%.
• Implemented a Continuous improvement team which selected monthly employee kaizen suggestion winner and then implementation of all feasible ideas.
• Led plant-wide $750K facility renovation to upgrade outdated administrative areas and to prepare site for current and future growth.
Continuous Improvement Lead January ‘07 – June ‘07
Primary duties include continuous improvement projects key to the successful move of a UAW Autolite sparkplug plant in Fostoria, OH to Mexicali, Mexico using Six Sigma and Lean methodologies.
• Solved long-term system transactional integrity error through implementation of plant-wide scaling system to transact component flow through factory, which reduced inventory write-offs by $50k/month
• Leading component containerization project between four sites using Lean methodologies, which will reduce transportation costs by 40%
• Repeated Black Belt certification project of POU vending machines to accurately dispense Platinum for sparkplug manufacture and provide platform for automated Kanban inventory and consignment safe.
Plant Manager, Elberton, Georgia 2005– 2007
Plant Manager of the Consumer Products Group (CPG) Bendix facility with 450 employees initially operating on a 24 hour, seven day schedule making disk brake pads.
• Through Lean initiatives and team empowering, was able to improve on-time delivery to distribution centers from below 10% to 88% in ten months on over 5,600 skus.
• Increased capacity primarily through productivity gains and LCR sourcing, enabled the site to produce in five days what used to take seven thereby moving the site to a five day schedule.
• Subsequent accomplishments include reducing past due pieces from over 1 million to under 10K in the same timeframe.
• Was instrumental in the implementation of a system that schedules 1,900 SKUs , is visually managed, ensures feedback on line misses, and provides a metric to measure schedule adherence
• Trained in and currently implementing the Honeywell Operating System (modeled after the Toyota Production System) targeting over 10% in conversion cost reduction.
Plant Manager, Spartanburg, South Carolina 2000 – 2005
Plant Manager of the CPG Autolite facility with a strong Lean and Six Sigma culture. 170 employees in a 14 acre site that has the capacity to make 1000K spark plug shells a day.
• By utilizing Six Sigma processes and team building skills, was able to improve on-time delivery to our customer from 83% to 98% in one year.
• Building on strategic digital enablers, achieved instantaneous web-based production and fault data system. This real-time data utilization became the benchmark center of excellence for CPG and enabled project savings of more than $300K for 2004 alone.
• Identifying significant opportunities through Lean initiatives, achieved cycle time reduction of 7.8 DOS from 11.65 DOS one year earlier.
• Implemented POU vending machines for perishable tooling as Black Belt certification project saving over $130K in machine uptime and reduced inventory by $240K.
Plant Manager, Freehold, New Jersey 1999 – 2000
Plant Manager of the CPG Prestone facility with a history of manufacturing diverse products from blending/packaging antifreeze and power steering fluid to blow molding bottles and making 1000k drinking straws a day. 65 employees were managed in a highly automated, 110k sq ft facility in central New Jersey.
• Acted as operations lead along with sales and marketing on team to redesign new Prestone antifreeze bottle, then managed project to retrofit all Prestone blow molders and filling lines across three sites to implement the new design with no quality excursions or interruptions to customers.
• Using financial analysis, justified capital to in-source all Prestone brake and power steering fluid products into the Freehold plant saving over $385K in the first year.
• Reduced ethylene glycol transfer cycle time by over 10% as project for Green Belt certification.
Operations/Maintenance Manager, Freehold, New Jersey 1996-1999
Managed Maintenance and Production at the site, which included 8 salary and 28 hourly employees.
• Managed a 50% increase in antifreeze volume to gain Shell Oil incremental business. Later won CPG’s first Six Sigma Quest for Excellence event in Nashville, TN in 1998 as group leader for the project.
• Instrumental in the installation and start up of several new production lines including an STP™ oil treatment blow molding line, a Glad™ drinking straw line, and a Prestone Technology Systems inhibitor line.
• Implemented self-directed hourly workforce as each new production line came on line. Associates controlled: schedule, breaks, changeovers, overtime, and temporary employees.
• Black Belt Certified 2004
• QFE People’s Choice Award 2004
• QFE People’s Choice Award 2003
• Honeywell Top 10 Quality Site 2003
• Green Belt Certified 1999
• Honeywell Vision Award – QFE 1st Place 1998
• Nissan Strenuous Lean Production Simulation 2006
• APICS Master Planning of Resources 2004
• Essentials for Supervision 2003
• Lean Enterprise - University of Tennessee 2002
• Zenger Miller Leadership Facilitator Certificate 2001
• Manager of Managers - University of Michigan 1996
Odessa, FL - honeywell, sigma, teams, six sigma, green belt,...
High School Quality
Greenville, SC - cook, greenville, sc, unloader, machine, forklift,...
Excellent driver and hard worker. Learns quickly.
Greenville, SC - pizza, cook, driver, sc, nc, info, james,...
Customer Service Manager
Greenville, SC - barista, greenville, speech, sc, lewis, patrick,...
Software Engineer Project
Greenville, SC - software engineer, edi, developers, engineer,...
Customer Service Real Estate
Greenville, SC - surveyor, practitioner, land surveyor, estate,...
Sales Project Manager
Greenville, SC - example, bpo, dubai, seo, trade show, lo, content,...