Robert S. Anastasio
STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST with demonstrated written communication skills and entrepreneurial spirit. Proven success in public affairs and strategic communication dynamics within a government and military framework. Skilled writer that has been published in dozens of publications, with a knack for producing communications products. Expertise with media & publication management and editing, public affairs, and team management – particularly within the military and federal government.
Experience: Office of Naval Research (BRTRC/Jorge Scientific Corporation)
Strategic Communications Specialist, Arlington, Va. Feb. 2010 – present
• Work to support the Office of Naval Research, the Navy’s premiere provider of science and technology solutions, as part of the Corporate Strategic Communications team to ensure the development and transmission of communications products for ONR programs and naval S&T initiatives to the media, military, public, business stakeholders, and ONR/naval employees
• Serve as the Editor of the ONR corporate newsletter, ensuring a high-quality print product for 20,000 ONR employees internationally, which contains a variety of information on Navy and Marine Corps’ programs, research, and initiatives within the Command
• Write and edit articles and media releases for the corporate newsletter, trade journals, Web site and several military publications
• Assist with the management of logistics and staffing for corporate conferences and events
• Work on the Sitecore content management tool for the Command’s Website content management needs, regularly publishing a variety of articles and fact sheets
• Serve as primary liaison to ONR Global offices in Prague, Tokyo, Santiago and London, working with each to extract information and research for stories, media releases, etc.
Department of Defense (Interactive Technology Solutions)
Strategic Communications Consultant, Arlington, Va. Dec. 2008 – Feb. 2010
• Worked to support the Department of Defense, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, Force Health Protection and Readiness Policy and Programs as part of the Strategic Communications team to ensure that all messages are aligned with DoD and easily understood and accessible by all target audiences
• Served as the Editor of the Force Health Protection and Readiness quarterly magazine, ensuring a high-quality print product for 30,000 military treatment facilities, healthcare providers, and Service members and their families, containing articles and information pertaining to education/training, research, and healthcare initiatives within the Military Health System
• Practiced comprehensive editing, proofreading, and strategic messaging to align with the writing style, culture, rules, and regulations of the Department of Defense
• Managed a team of 6 writers to formulate story ideas for subsequent magazine articles regarding Family Readiness and Health Assurance, International Health, Civil-Military Medicine, Medical Countermeasures, Health Science and Force Optimization, and Operational Medicine while enforcing deadline expectations and maintaining proper print style and format as practiced by DoD
• Authored a number of articles covering health-related topics for print and Web publication aimed at health care providers, clinicians, Service members and families, Veterans, and the general public
• Served as the lead for the MHS Publications team ensuring all print products have consistent messaging
U.S. Senate (System Planning Corporation)
Emergency Management Analyst, Arlington, Va. April 2008 – Dec. 2008
• Worked with the State Office Preparedness Program to Support the United States Senate, Sergeant at Arms (SAA), Office of Security and Emergency Preparedness (OSEP) to enhance safety, security, and preparedness in Senate state offices across the country
• Assisted hundreds of state offices with several continuity of operations (COOP) dynamics, including identification and reallocation of essential functions and vital records in the event of an operational disruption Helped the offices identify alternate work locations and create COOP fly-away kits to continue operation from a satellite location, as well as identification of core function tools and technology to be used
• Worked with and briefed Administrative Managers in 10 Senator’s offices to orient them to the program and educate them on program components, including emergency supplies, video teleconference training, web-based training courses, the Comprehensive Emergency Plan, brochures and other available resources
• Provided ongoing support to 113 Senate state offices to include assistance in emergency action planning, continuity of operations planning, and education regarding all aspects of the program
• Conducted research for state office hazard vulnerability assessments, using FEMA flood maps, state hazard mitigation plans, and National Regulatory Commission resources
• Planned and conducted 3 educational training classes for 83 staff members in 37 state offices across the country using video teleconference technology during the course of 4 months. Training sessions included an orientation to the State Office Preparedness Program as well as program components
Benchmark Assisted Living, LLC
Risk Management Specialist, Wellesley, Mass. June 2007 - Dec. 2007
• Created business continuity plans, evacuation plans, and safety manuals for the Residents and Associates of Benchmark’s 43 communities
• Created several professional publications including insurance brochures and wellness guides for the community residents
• Conducted 20 disaster training, planning, and drills for 400 Executive Directors and department heads during the course of 4 months, using various interactive media such as videos, PowerPoint, and manuals
Education: Emerson College; Boston, Mass.
Master of Arts in Organizational & Corporate Communication Dec. 2007
Roanoke College; Salem, Va.
Bachelor of Arts in English May 2006
Major GPA: 3.25
Security Clearance: Department of Defense SECRET (active)
Professional Affiliations: International Association of Emergency Managers
National Eagle Scout Association
Pi Kappa Alpha International Fraternity Alumni Association
Professional Training: U.S. Joint Forces Command Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape training
U.S. Joint Forces Command Anti-terrorism/Force Protection training
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Emergency Management Institute (EMI) courses completed:
Principles of Emergency Management (IS-230), Emergency Planning (IS-235),
Effective Communication (IS-242), Decision Making and Problem Solving (IS-241),
Developing and Managing Volunteers (IS-244)
U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine Health Risk Communication Program
Adobe InDesign CS4 Training
Skills: Operating Systems: Windows 95, 98, 00, XP
Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, InDesign CS 2-4, Outlook
Able Bodied Seaman
Washington, DC - maintained, seaman, personnel, mate, deck, naval,...
Customer Service Sales
Arlington, VA - emergency, coordinator, administration,...
Washington, DC - police, standards, perform, emergency, items,...
Safety Officer Java Developer
Arlington, VA - safety officer, import, java developer, game,...
Arlington, VA - hospital, research, health care, management,...
Vienna, VA - security, dod, fema, emergency, embassy, access,...
Medical Assistant Nursing Home
Washington, DC - clinic, nursing home, clients, cross, disaster,...