|CARLA M. WOOD (757) ***-**** residence
** ********* ***** (651) ***-**** cell
Summerville, SC 29485-6252 firstname.lastname@example.org email
Over twenty years of experience in staff training/teaching and development, project/program management, scientific clinical research, laboratory operations, and budget/grant administration.
Expertise in biochemistry, molecular biology and genomics, including patent and molecular biology databases
• Multiple project management and administrative functions
• Project/program development, initiation, and management
• Budget development and administration, managed budgets
• Evaluation of new technologies in relation to clinical studies
• Designed and implemented research, grant and project proposals
• Managed projects coordinating large teams of individuals
• Drafted and evaluated patent applications and developed effective patent strategies
• Developed proprietary procedures, including nucleotide/protein analysis and diagnostics
• Staff hiring, training, and motivation
• Conducted lectures/presentations, directed lab projects, and wrote/evaluated test materials
• Materials management, purchasing, and inventory control
• Operations and strategic planning
• Implemented quality management systems
• Developed operational management systems
• Designed and implemented data management systems
• Capital equipment acquisition and installation
• Vendor selection and negotiation
• Space planning and architectural design
2009 – Present THOMAS NELSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Williamsburg, VA
Engineering, Science, and Allied Health Division
Science Lab Supervisor and Instructor, Williamsburg Campus
Undergraduate science lab course preparation and management for the following:
BIO 101 & 102 (Intro Biology), BIO 150 (Microbiology), CHM 101 & 102 (Intro Chemistry), and BIO 141 and 142 (Anatomy & Physiology)
Training and supervision of work-study students
2005 – 2009 COLLEGE OF WILLIAM & MARY, Williamsburg, VA
Department of Biology, Millington Hall
Staff, Molecular Genetics & Genomics
Plants: A. thaliana, S. moellendorffii and Insects: D. melanogaster (Labs of Eric Engstrom & Matt Wawersik)
Laboratory training of undergraduate students
Research project pilot studies: Transgenic plant production in A. thaliana; stem and germ cell analysis in D. melanogaster
2004 – Present LAWRENCE D. SULLIVAN & CO., INC., St. Paul, MN/Williamsburg, VA
Alternative Fuel Technology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering and Bioprocessing
Project Advice and Management
2004 UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Bank on a CureTM Manager (Intl. Myeloma Foundation) and
Assistant Research Professor (High-Throughput Genotyping)
High-throughput genotyping of clinical trial samples from multiple myeloma treatment protocols. Developed lab protocols and managed high volume sample tracking for genotyping on a Sequenom MassArray system at the University of Minnesota. Developed PCR and extension primer assays using proprietary Sequenom PCR design software for MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Robotics handling management.
2001 – 2003 MERCHANT & GOULD, PC, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Seattle,Washington
Staff Engineer/Technical Advisor, Biotech Patents
Assisted biopharmaceutical client development. Drafted patent applications and office action responses, researched prior art and patentability of pending patent applications. Extensive use of patent, published research literature, and published sequence databases. Study of case law regarding patenting issues, and intellectual property law in-house course participation.
1997 - 2001 PARKER HUGHES CANCER CENTER AND INSTITUTE,
St. Paul, Minnesota.
Director, Molecular Genetics
Directed and operated a laboratory investigating human leukemia and lymphoma, participated on international teams developing new tools for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer, generated research results to support grant funding and publications in journals including Oncogene and Leukemia and Lymphoma. Advised the HLA genotyping research team. The Parker Hughes Institute is a non-profit research institute and clinic dedicated to the development of new drug and recombinant protein therapies for the treatment of patients with life-threatening diseases such as leukemia and AIDS.
1995 – 1997 UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota
Assistant Professor, Therapeutic Radiology
See Parker Hughes Cancer Institute.
1992 – 1994 UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK, Biological Sciences, Coventry,England
Visiting Scientist, Molecular Biology
Manager, Senior Scientist, University of Warwick
Developed RT-PCR assays using negative-sense genomic viral RNA isolated from the avian respiratory virus, turkey rhinotracheitis virus (TRT), for comparison of the L polymerase gene sequence among the genus Pneumovirus of the family Paromyxoviridae.
1988 – 1992 NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH, NIA,
F. Scott Key Med. Center, Baltimore, MD
Staff Scientist/NRC Fellow, Molecular Genetics
Analyzed a breast cancer gene candidate near the BRCA1 gene locus leading to the precise gene discovery. Fine mapping of the human prohibitin gene within the chromosomal locus 17q21, mutational analysis of this candidate gene in early-onset familial breast cancer patients, and mapping of exon-intron boundaries within the gene. Collaboration with Mark Skolnick, Ph.D., University of Utah/Myriad Genetics.
Expression analysis of stress-response and aging/senescence-related genes, including novel genes requiring further characterization and sequence analysis. Cross-species comparison of gene sequence and transcriptional promoter analysis, e.g. RACE analysis. DNA response/repair gene characterization and analysis.
1983 – 1988 BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE,
Cell Biology and Human Genetics, Houston, TX
Biochemistry and genetics of DNA repair in human cells. DNA response/repair gene characterization and analysis.
• American Association for the Advancement of Science.
• The American Society of Human Genetics.
• The American Society of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (Assoc. Member).
• SDE/Graduate Women in Science. Past Board Member, Xi Chapter, Job Bank Chair, 1996-1998.
Ph.D. Biochemistry Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
B.S. Biochemistry The Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA
• University of St. Thomas, Mpls./St. Paul, MN, Course (MMSE 799), Medical Device Clinical Studies, Summer 2003
• University of St. Thomas, Mpls./St. Paul, MN, Mini-MBA in Medical Technology Management, Spring 2004
• Williamsburg-James City County Community Scholarship Fund Committee, 2009-2010.
• Williamsburg-James City County Gifted Education Advisory Committee, 2007-2010.
• Greensprings Gators Swim Team, Stroke and Turn Judge, 2006-2008.
• James Blair Middle School PTA, Fundraising Volunteer, 2005-2008.
• Parent Legislation Action Committee, Mounds View School District, 2004-2005.
Professional References (Clients) Provided Upon Request.
Bibliography Provided Upon Request.
Descriptions of Patent Applications Can Be Provided in Brief.
MS OUTLOOK AND OUTLOOK EXPRESS
DNA SEQUENCING AND ALIGNMENT SOFTWARE
STATISTICAL ANALYSIS SOFTWARE
US PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE DATABASE (PATENTS)
PUBMED, MEDLINE, AND OTHERS (RESEARCH ARTICLES)
NATIONAL LIBRARY OF MEDICINE (RESEARCH ARTICLES, GENOMIC SEQUENCE)
SOFTWARE INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE
PRINTER AND FAX TECHNOLOGY
VIRUS, FIREWALL, AND ADWARE PROTECTION SOFTWARE
WINDOWS AND MAC OS LITERATE
LAB INSTRUMENTATION AND SKILLS
MALDI-TOF MASS SPECTROMETRY
SPECTROSCOPY (UV-VIS, INFARED, AND FLUORESCENCE)
GENE CHARACTERIZATION AND DNA SEQUENCING
GENOMIC PCR AND RT-PCR
MULTIPLE PROMOTER AND TRANSCRIPTIONAL START SITE ANALYSIS (5’ RACE MODIFICATION - PEETA)
HUMAN GENETIC DISEASES
HUMAN DNA REPAIR AND CARCINOGENESIS
LITERATE IN MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY
FAMILIAR WITH MEDICAL DEVICE REGULATORY PROCESS AND MARKETING
Similar ResumesResearch Assistant, Microbiologist, microbiology technician
- microbiologist, resonance, biostatistics,...Bioinformatician
- talend, promoters, cath, bioinformatics, mapper,...Research Scientist - Molecular Biologist
North Prairie, WI
- biologist, research scientist, stem,...bioinformatics
India, Pune, MH
- bioinformatics, modelling, pune, biotechnology,...Bioinformatician/Computational Biologist
- spotfire, biologist, bioinformatics,...Data mining, machine learning, signal processing, image processing
- brc, bioinformatics, ee, sd, pp, facial, mri,...Bioinformatics
- bioinformatics, php, download, csharp, developer,...Experienced Cell Biologist
- design control, calcium, dmpk, biologist,...Bioscience Consultant and Science and Medical Writer
Lincoln University, PA
- pilates, surg, bioinformatics, asm, neuroscience,....Net Developer
- ror, silverlight, jscript, telerik, nunit, wcf,...