• Experienced in Web Application Development, analysis, and design at Fortune 500 firms such as HCSC/Blue Cross Blue Shield, Northwestern Mutual, and Walgreen Co.
• Used open source tools such as Apache POI, Display tag, YUI, and JQuery.
Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) Deerfield, IL 01/10 - Present
Role: Sr. Web Application Developer
ISAC is a one-stop financial aid center, offering a comprehensive array of programs and services. At every stage of the financial aid process, ISAC is there, acting as a centralized source of information and guidance. ISAC administers most of the key state and federal grant, scholarship, loan and prepaid tuition programs available to postsecondary students.
• Responsible for development related to the new ISAC unified website. Customize dotCMS Content Management System by using its Plugin Architecture and maintain upgrade path. Create customized eMessaging pages using dotCMS which is built with Java, Struts, JSP, Velocity, etc. and runs on Tomcat.
• Install several instances, on unique IP's, of JBoss application server as Windows Services on Windows Server 2008. Install WSO2 ESB instance as Windows Service on Windows Server 2008.
• Used Apache POI to read, write, and modify Excel files.
Health Care Service Corporation (Blue Cross & Blue Shield) Chicago, IL 02/05 - 01/10
Role: Web Application Team Lead
Tek-Systems, Inc., Chicago, IL 07/04 - 02/05
Role: Consultant at Blue Cross & Blue Shield
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC) is a customer-owned health benefits Company focused on improving the health and wellness of its members and communities.
• Lead developer on a team of four responsible for the analysis, design, development and support of the Real Time Benefits (RTB) J2EE web application. RTB is a visible application that is used by hundreds of Customer Service Representatives simultaneously.
• Used open source tools such as POI, Display tag, YUI, and JQuery.
• Improved RTB so that it meets or exceeds production up-time SLA requirements.
CompuPros, Inc., Milwaukee, WI 10/03 – 07/04
Role: Consultant for Northwestern Mutual
Northwestern Mutual is the nation’s largest direct provider of individual life insurance — ranking 110 in the FORTUNE 500, with $157 billion in assets. They help in managing financial risk and achieving financial security.
• Supported and maintained several internal applications for scheduling conferences and large meetings.
• Applications coded in Java, Servlets, J2EE, JSP, XSL/XSLT, and Visual Basic.
Walgreen Co., Deerfield, IL 07/00 – 09/03
Role: Sr. Programmer/Analyst – HR Systems Development Team
Founded in 1901, Walgreens provides the most convenient access to consumer goods and services, and pharmacy, health and wellness services, in America. The company has recorded 35 consecutive years of record sales, a track record matched by only one other Fortune 500 company.
• Designed and developed a new application (PeoplePlus) to automate the applicant hiring process for Walgreens stores. Designed and coded batch processes, applicant and management screens.
• PeoplePlus Hiring application built using Core Java, J2EE, Servlets, Oracle, PL/SQL, Stored Procedures, batch jobs using Visual Age for Java (predecessor to RAD)
• Implemented the Docent Learning Management System (LMS) and integrated existing CBT’s into LMS.
NTC Contemporary Publishing Group, Lincolnwood, IL 05/97 – 07/00
Role: Senior Programmer/Analyst for this business unit of the Chicago Tribune
• Developed and enhanced software applications used for the book publishing business. Applications included accounting, inventory control, and EDI, which saved the company many hours of manual order entry.
• Helped the company achieve a problem-free Y2K transition.
ADP Dealer Services, Hoffman Estates, IL 11/96 – 04/97
Role: Senior Programmer/Analyst for a major supplier of turnkey systems for car and truck dealerships worldwide.
• Designed, coded, and maintained internal business applications for this car and truck dealer services company, which sells turn-key systems.
• Responsible for requirements gathering, analysis, design, coding and support.
• Environment: UNIX, Advanced Pick, Windows, Access, Oracle.
BT Office Products International, Chicago, IL 02/95 – 10/96
• Responsible for requirements gathering, analysis, design, coding, and support of business applications.
• Business groups supported included EDI, purchasing, commissions, and inventory control.
• Environment: UniData, AIX, Windows
NTC Publishing Group, Lincolnwood, IL 04/93 – 02/95
• Responsible for requirements gathering, analysis, design, coding and support of applications in order entry, inventory control, and sales analysis.
• Only programmer/analyst in their computer department. All legacy programming issues and problems filtered down to me.
• Lead developer for the EDI system.
• Environment: Pick R83, UNIX, Windows
Data Management Group Oak Brook Terrace, IL 03/90 – 04/93
• Responsibilities included analysis, design, coding, and support for association membership software applications.
• Technical platforms included several database and operating systems, including Pick R83, Advanced Pick, Advanced Revelation and UniData running on AIX on an IBM RS/6000.
University of Illinois at Chicago
Bachelor of Science, Mathematics/Computer Science, March 1990