Bijali Saha, Ph. D.** **** ******, *********, **
(H); (781) ***-****
Objective: Challenging research position in Synthetic Organic/Medicinal/Process Chemistry
Availability: Available for work immediately
Process Chemist (small scale and scale up) at Pfizer Inc. (08/2010-12/2010)
• Syntheses (small scale and scale up) of Novel inhibitor for Inflammation Research (Heterocyclic and Asymmetric Compounds).
• Small Scale for target Novel Inhibitors.
• Scaled-up a number of intermediates and novel APIs (1-10g).
• Experience in delivering multi-gram batch of important tool asymmetric compounds under tight schedule and in time for scheduled studies (Confidential)
Synthetic Chemist in Medicinal Chemistry at AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals Inc.
• Syntheses of many target Novel inhibitors for Oncology research in mg to g scale for hit to lead (Heterocyclic Compounds like Peptides etc.; MW: 900-1400) (Confidential)
Senior Scientist and Scientist at Organix Inc, Woburn, MA (1996-2009)
• Custom syntheses and Contract research of target compounds and scale up for APIs and intermediates of diverse organic compounds for different Pharmaceutical and Biotech Companies: various heterocyclic compounds, peptides, asymmetric compounds, macro cyclic compounds, nucleosides etc. by using all modern techniques (Confidential)
• Synthesized clients compounds having a wide variety of requirements, priorities and deadlines by employing established procedures as well as developing and optimizing synthetic routes
• Prepared written procedural reports for the clients at regular intervals and these procedures often reprinted by the client in patents or publications
• Syntheses and SAR studies on different tetrahydrocannabinols (THC), water soluble THC, endocannabinoids, cannabidiol analogs in Drug Discovery: Cannabinergic drugs modulate the central nervous and immune systems by acting through two receptors (CB1; CB2) and two classes of endogenous ligands represented by anandamide (AEA) and 2-arachidonyl glycerol (2-AG) (endocannabinoids). The endocannabinoid system is further regulated by the inactivating enzyme, fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH), monoacylglycerol lipase (MAGL) and diacylglycerol lipase (DAGL). CB1 and CB2 receptor agonist, partial agonist, antagonist are used as potential drug for a pain relief, appetite, CNS diseases.
• Purity and characterization of all the compounds by FT-NMR, GC/MS, GC, HPLC, FT-IR
• Analytical reactions in microgram scale to determine partition coefficients, purity and stability by HPLC.
• Ph. D. (Synthetic Organic Chemistry); Years of Industrial experience in diverse fields
of Medicinal (small scale and scale up) Chemistry
• Outstanding research and communications skills
• Strong problem solving and trouble shooting, process changing and improving, new manufacturing implementation skills
• Innovative thinker, creative and self-initiative
• Good understanding of the pharmaceutical drug discovery and development process.
• Good project managing and technical writing skills
• Expert in the use of advanced and novel experimental methods and techniques, advanced concept and theories relevant to scientific discipline in the fields of Medicinal/Process Chemistry
• Familiar with drug discovery and drug development process
• Design and synthesis of small molecules, hit to lead to provide comprehensive lead optimization and identification of novel drug candidates
• Hands-on experience on multi steps synthetic design and execution of diverse organic molecules independently for SAR studies of therapeutic importance with on time delivery
• Experience in SAR development and analysis for potency, solubility, stability & selectivity improvement by understanding its mechanism of action
• Design and syntheses of various heterocyclic compounds, nucleosides, nucleotides, peptides, asymmetric compounds, macro cyclic compounds etc. by using all modern techniques
• Familiar with QA, QC, IND & NDA
• Familiar with In vitro & In vivo pharmacology
• Experience working in multidisciplinary drug discovery teams
• Development of synthetic and scale-up techniques for drug candidates
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and communicate with external CRO and participate in technical transfers and troubleshooting of process issues at contract manufacturers
• Familiar with CMO manufacturer and able to manage effectively drug substance manufacturing
• Expertise in scale up for API(1-10g) and intermediate through the application of DoE and QbD
• Familiar with cGMP, DMPK and Formulation
• Ability to work independently and interact with a multidisciplinary team
• Proven track record of innovative project contributions including peer-reviewed publications
• Expertise in the use of the following techniques to characterize organic compounds: FT-NMR (1D and 2D), LC/MS, GC/MS, GC, FT-IR, HPLC (analytical)
• Purification of the compounds by Crystallization, Flash Chromatography,
Combiflash, HPLC(preparative/chiral/reverse phase)
• Strong knowledge and hands on experience in HPLC to determine partition coefficient, stability and purity
• Good expertise in scale up
• Excellent written, verbal, presentation and time management skills
• Important role to supervise and train BS/MS/postdoctoral fellow in synthetic organic/medicinal chemistry
• Flexibility to do multi-task in a fast paced and dynamic environment
• Familiar with ELN note book
• Familiar with Windows, Mac, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, CS ChemDraw, IsisDraw, Beilstein, Reaxys, internet and database searching
Honors & Awards • Awarded Research Associate Fellowship by CSIR, New Delhi, India
• Recipient of Senior and Junior Research Fellowship from IACS, Calcutta
• Recipient of merit scholarship from govt. of West Bengal, Calcutta, India
Professional Affiliations • Member, American Chemical Society (1989-present); Medicinal Chemistry and drug discovery, Biotech and Pharma professionals etc.
• Synthetic Organic Chemistry; Indian Association For The Cultivation Of
Science (IACS), Calcutta University, India
Title of the thesis
• Synthetic investigations of Polycyclic systems
(Synthetic methodologies of Hydrofluorene and Hydrophenanthrene derivatives)
• Medicinal Chemistry (Anti-cancer, Anti-ulcer drug), Northeastern University, Boston, MA
Selected Publications: (Total 26, available upon request)
1. T. Bisogno, J. J. Burston, M. Allara, B. Saha, A. Mahadevan, R. K. Razdan, J. L. Wiley and V. D. Marzo. Synthesis and pharmacological activity of a potent inhibitor of the biosynthesis of the endocannabinoid 2-arachidonoylglycerol. ChemMedChem. 2009, 4(6), 946-50.
2. K. Cheng, B. Saha, A. Mahadevan, R.K. Razdan, G. Kunos, A.E. Jacobson, K.C. Rice. Synthesis of 2-(5Z,8Z,11Z,14Z)-Icosa-5,8,11,14-tetraenamidoethyl-d4 Dihydrogen Phosphate, Tetra-deuterated pAEA. J. Labelled Compounds Radiopharm. 2008, 51, 389.
3. T. Bisogno, M.G. Cascio, B. Saha, A, Mahadevan, P. Urbani, A. Mináis, G. Appendino, C. Saturnino, B. Martin, R.K. Razdan, V.D. Marzo. Development of the first potent and specific inhibitors of endocannabinoid biosynthesis. Biochem. Biophys. Acta (Mol.Cell Biol. of lipid), 2006, 205, 216.
4. Vandevoorde S, B. Saha, Mahadevan A, R.K. Razdan, Pertwee RG, Martin BR, Fowler CJ. Influence of the degree of unsaturation of the acyl side chain upon the interaction of analogues of 1-arachidonoylglycerol with monoacylglycerol lipase and fatty acid amide hydrolase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005, 337,104.
5. A. Thomas, Ruth A. Ross, B. Saha, A. Mahadevan, R.K. Razdan, Roger G. Pertwee. 6”-Azidohex-2”-yne-cannabidiol: a potential neutral, competitive cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist. Eur J Pharmacol. 2004, 487, 213.
Presentations/Posters (Many in National and International meetings)
References: Available upon request