Richard P. Lovett, PG, CPG
Summerfield, North Carolina 27358
Home (336) ***-****
Purpose: Secure a position as the Manager of Environmental Health with company that understands and is sensitive to the ramifications associated with poor environmental stewardship and is sincere it their commitment to employee health and safety.
Education: B.S. Degree in Geology from Norwich University – Military College of Vermont (1992)
Certifications Professional Geologist – South Carolina (SC-2301)
and Licenses: Professional Geologist – North Carolina (NC-1864)
Registered Site Manager (RSM) – North Carolina Inactive Hazardous Site Branch
Certified Professional Geologist – American Institute of Professional Geologists
40-Hour HAZWOPER (August 1992) / 8-Hour HAZWOPER Refresher (December 2011)
8-Hour HAZWOPER Supervisors training
10-Hour HAZWOPER Construction Management training
Confined Space Entry & Lock-out/Tag-out Training (1994)
CPR, AED and First Aid trained (2010)
CPR, AED and First Aid trained - Canada (2011)
H2S Alive February 2011
Canada Safety Training (CSTS) February 2011
Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHIMIS)
RCRA/DOT Hazardous Materials Training
Forklift training (Lowes Home Improvement training 2009)
currently pursuing my Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM – anticipated in 3 months)
Experience: For 19 years, I worked as a geologist (environmental professional) for four well known environmental engineering companies and have been involved at various levels on a number of large and highly visible projects. My clients have ranged from state and local governmental agencies (i.e. The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and NJ Transit, the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources, University of North Carolina and the Piedmont Triad International Airport) to private clients (D.R. Horton – housing developer, Family Dollar Stores, and Ingersoll-Rand, Cooper Tire, Mateo Metals –battery recycling facility and junk yard, and the Deluxe Corporation). I have worked closely with several case managers from a number of state agencies (i.e. NCDENR, NJDEP, PADEP, and SCDHEC ) to resolve and/or comply with clients Notice of Regulatory Requirements and Notice of Violations. I have a successful track record in achieving “No Further Action” designations in some of the most environmentally regulated states in the nation.
My professional career has included: conducting environmental assessments (ASTM 2487-05 and AAI compliant), petroleum and hazardous waste site investigations (including RCRA Superfund and TSCA sites), comprehensive site assessments; environmental compliance audits, stormwater and wastewater permitting and compliance, boiler emissions compliance, safety and environmental compliance audits; soil and groundwater corrective action investigations; and overseeing the implementation of health and safety and compliance management procedures for governmental, commercial and industrial clients. I have performed environmental safety audits, review site-specific health and safety plans, and developed environmental management and operational safety procedures to reduce potential environmental concerns, develop more efficient methods to perform tasks and decrease a facility’s environmental footprint. I have also worked with many of my commercial and municipal clients to meet their permitting and hazardous waste compliance needs while assisted them in the development of innovative approaches to reduce or eliminate monitoring and reporting requirements under various permitting programs. I have knowledge of OSHA, SARA, Title III, RCRA, CAA, CWA and other state and EPA regulatory requirements.
As the Health and Safety Coordinator (HSC), I am been responsible for promoting Golder’s safety culture awareness initiative that has reduced injuries associates with the performance of office and project (field) related activities. During my ongoing service as HSC, the North Carolina operations continue to experience over 110,000 working hours (ongoing and consecutive) of productivity, free of work-related injuries or exposure. I provided professional and technical health and safety related assistance to office and field personnel and have conducted training related to the implementation of new and existing corporate health and safety procedures and programs.
My responsibilities as HSC include: the development, review, and implementation of site-specific and office related safety and health programs; the tracking and coordination of North Carolina personnel training classes; the review of established office and site-specific safety procedures; the development, preparation and updating of field and office Emergency Response Plans; and conducting investigations of job site “hazards” and “near miss” events while conducting root-cause analysis investigations. I also recommend, initiate and/or direct the most immediate, cost-effective and/or necessary corrective measures to reduce/eliminate future safety concerns/exposure.
• Responsible for projects from initial stages of proposal writing to the successful implementation of groundwater/soil investigative and remedial actions.
• Accountable for the staffing of projects and monitoring of progress to insure assigned tasks are completed within a prearranged job scope, schedule and budget.
• Responsible for client interaction to insure that their project needs are being addressed.
• Administered the project goals by soliciting and selecting the most capable and safety orientated subcontractors (using a safety scoring metric) to meet or exceed the project/client specified safety requirements.
• Conduct reviews of subcontractor’s insurance coverage documents and health and safety plans.
• Responsible for the preparation and implementation of Site Specific Health and Safety Plans.
• Successfully managed a variety of investigation and remediation projects including: subsurface (soil/groundwater) investigations, workplan preparation and implementation, establishing Classification Exception Areas, preparing Memorandum of Agreements and Deed Notices/Restrictions, and negotiated with various state entities to address Notice of Violations and in order to reduce permitting requirements.
• Managed projects that involved multiple phased environmental investigations which included the review of relevant environmental documentation and data associated with property transfers.
• Managed the remedial and restorative activities at the Ward Transformer Superfund Site. Supervised a sampling crew of four individuals and coordinated excavation, treatment and restoration activities with the onsite subcontractors that consisted of approximately 20 laborers, foremen and staff.
• Prepared operational budgets, change orders and conducted invoice reviews.
• Reviewed subcontractor invoices and conducted follow-up to ensure payment by the client and processing of payment for the subcontractors.
• Assisted clients determine if operational changes would trigger modifications existing permits or require additional environmental related permits.
• Provided guidance to clients pursuing non-exposure exemptions to existing stormwater regulations.
• As the Chairman of the Guilford County Environmental Review Board I have reviewed several Facility PSM and emergency/contingency plans.
Health and Safety/Environmental Compliance
• Acted in the role of site health and safety compliance (HSC) officer responsible for monitoring office operations and field personnel compliance with existing company health and safety policies and directives. During my tenure as HSC, the three North Carolina offices achieved over 125,000 continuous working hours of injury-free productivity.
• Performed safety audits on field jobsites to ensure compliance with the approved health and safety plans.
• Managed the health and safety program on an oil sands project (in Canada). While acting as the project health and safety coordinator, my employer was awarded the “Gold Award” for the contractor group with the lowest injury reports (zero incidents) and highest number safety/jobsite audits throughout the entire mine operation.
• Maintain and follow-up on near miss and hazard reports.
• Improved the North Carolina operations corporate safety standing to third best within the North America operations (over 50 offices) for three consecutive years.
• Worked with clients to develop and establish both safety and operational related procedures to minimize environmental exposure and reduce/eliminate potential safety concerns.
• Responsible to maintaining training records for all North Carolina personnel.
• Conduct and/or coordinates annual corporate safety training.
• Prepared site-specific health and safety plans for a broad variety of environmentally sensitive sites.
• Reviewed subcontractors health and safety plans.
• Prepared compliance and reporting documentation for the North Carolina operations.
• Conducted incident investigation/root cause analysis and prepared incident report related to injury/incident events.
• Assisted clients in preparing a cost benefit analysis related to proposed new operations.
• Organized safety training classes for staff in order to maintain training certification status.
• Maintained a training certification database for the North Carolina operations.
• Interfaced/engaged my client’s engineering staff to ensure safe work conditions for both onsite and offsite personnel.
• Developed and implemented effective “low-cost” and “no-cost” procedures to reduce/eliminate potential exposure concerns.
• Worked with field personnel to select, identify, monitor, and maintain exclusion, contaminate reduction and contaminant free work zones.
• Developed a personal and project boundary exposure thresholds levels while conducting verification sampling to ensure compliance with established threshold levels.
• Conducted approximately 250 Phase I environmental audits at industrial, residential and commercial facilities as part of the lenders due diligence and refinancing requirements.
• Made presentations to regulators on behalf of clients to reduce and/or eliminate investigational, reporting, and monitoring requirements based on site specific and scientific conditions.
• Developed and modified facility stormwater pollution prevention plans (SWPPP), waste water discharge permit applications and SPCC plans and prepared the necessary regulatory monitoring reports.
• Successfully advised clients to alter onsite activities in order to mitigate stormwater and wastewater compliance issues and reduce reporting requirements.
• Performed groundwater aquifer testing to determine maximum sustained water production rates for sites requiring a large water quantity withdraw for steam assisted gravity drainage sites for petroleum removal/extraction activities for three major oil sand projects in Alberta Canada.
• Performed groundwater, surface water, sediment, and soil investigations.
• Responsible for the generation and evaluation of groundwater contour maps, contaminant isopleths, laboratory data collection and reduction, calculations of various aquifer characteristics, and preparations and implementation of site investigations and remedial actions.
• Supervised the installation and sampling of soil borings utilizing various drilling techniques (air rotary, mud rotary, hollow stem auger, vibracore, hand-auger and geoprobe methods) under a variety of unique conditions (tripod, skid and barge mounted drill rigs).
• Assisted in the development of an EPA approved comprehensive PCB investigation/remediation plan that is scheduled to be implemented following the demolition of a 600,000 sq/ft research facility that conducted PCB testing activities.
• Coordinated and oversaw the removal and/or abandonment-in-place of over 175 underground storage tanks at several facilities in the New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania North Carolina and Delaware that included the installation and sampling of soil borings, monitoring wells and temporary well points to investigate the extent of possible contamination.
• Fracture and fault mapping of the New York City water tunnel #2 (litigation purposes).
Employers: Golder Associates,Inc., Greensboro, North Carolina
Senior Project Geologist: September 2007 to present
MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Greensboro North Carolina
Senior Project Geologist: June 2003 – September 2007
The Louis Berger Group Inc. Florham Park, New Jersey
Senior Geologist: September 2000- June 2003
Killam Associates, Millburn, New Jersey
Associate Project Geologist: August 1992 – September 2000
Summerfield Zoning Board - January 2004 to 2011
North Carolina Groundwater Professionals - March 2006
Guilford County Environmental Review Board [current board chairman] - Member, January 2006 to date
- Chairman for the Stormwater and Waste Management Section of the GCERB- January 2006 to 2007
American Engineering and Environmental Geologists (officer Secretary 2006/2007) - August 2006 to date
Wilson Farm Homeowners Association (vice president 2005, president 2006 & 2011, treasurer 2007) – 2004 to date [average annual operating bu
Project Manager Management
Raleigh, NC - geologist, drilling, samples, environmental,...
Sacramento, CA - geologist, registered, drilling, environmental,...
Edison, NJ - geologist, environmental, registered,...
Project Manager Safety
Fullerton, CA - geologist, safety manager, safety, soil, phase,...
South Burlington, VT - geologist, remediation, midwest, environmental,...
Manager Years Experience
High Point, NC - geologist, mining, james, environmental,...
Professional Geologist/Environmental Manager
Jacksonville, FL - geologist, inspector, mold, environmental,...