Experience**** - *******
Hotel Internal Auditor
Self employed as consultant in the Hospitality and Accounting and Finance industry. Have been focusing and working full time for top forensic audit company based out of New York for some time, performing nationwide Hotel Internal Audits. Audits cover all areas of finance and operations, auditing based upon company policy and compliance with Sarbanes Oxley. Have audited all types of hotels and resorts, including but not limited to properties such as Marriott, Hyatt Regency, W Hotels, etc. Vast experience in all areas including finance, rooms, food and beverage, golf, retail, etc. Areas of expertise would include but not be limited to:
Contributing to teams responsible for performing financial, operational, and compliance reviews across various business units and hotels, including the following:
- Efficient execution of assigned projects included on the company's risk-based Internal Audit Plan
- Participating in detail testing of key financial controls in support of internal controls compliance efforts
- Conducting independent and objective assessments of internal controls, financial results, corporate processes, hotel operations, compliance requirements, etc.
- Partnering with management to develop corrective action plans in response to all Internal Audit observations
- Helping refine departmental methodologies and deliverables in accordance with professional standards
- Interacting regularly with process owners and senior management.
Strong business sense, excellent communication skills, and an innate desire to succeed.
Director of Resorts
East Hampton, NY
Provided leadership as VP - Director of Resort Operations for largest management company on New York's Long Island in the Hamptons. Directly responsible for the total operations and management of 17 Resorts and Residential Communities.
Properties managed in the Hamptons in New York included but were not limited to:
East Hampton House
Ocean Beach Resort
Surf Club Resort
Sun N Sound Resort
Dune Alpin Farms
Portfolio consists of over 1,000 rental units and homes.
Full operational and management responsibility for resorts, residential communities, COOPS and associations.
Provided leadership to the management of all resorts and all COOP associations.
While here created and implemented full operational manuals, policies and procedures for all resorts, resulting in standardized procedures which in turn created greater guest satisfaction, performance and profit.
Develop system to perform internal audits on our properties in regards to developed SOP’s and Standard of Operations.
Complete management of over 500 employees. Hired and trained General Managers, Maintenance, Front Office staff, housekeeping, etc.
Worked hand in hand with each Association/Condominium Coop in operations, maintenance, capital plans and projects, etc.
Created system to rate all units in portfolio by Dune Management Standards. Worked to implement system to raise all units in our company to the same standards and measurements.
Let Marketing efforts for all properties within our portfolio
Trained all employees on Revenue Management, worked to increase bookings on a year over year basis.
Developed systems for operational budgets for all properties within our portfolio.
Director of Finance
Palm Coast, FL
Responsibilities included all aspects of accounting and finance, based at the company’s flagship property, the Club at Hammock Beach located in Palm Coast, Florida. Clubs include resorts and private clubs, condo associations, multiple food & beverage outlets, PGA golf courses, Yacht and Marina, Conservatory and Golf Clubs, Association management, Residential and Condo Site Development and Real Estate. Major focus is in all hospitality operations of company assets.
Supervise an accounting staff of 6. In this capacity I lead the finance and accounting for resort operations and developer in the company, total resort revenues in excess of $80 Million. This includes all resort operations, HOA and Associations, Developer, etc.
Based at company’s flagship property in Palm Coast (Club at Hammock Beach), involved in developing and implementing policies and procedures at company’s other resorts and developments, such as Reunion Resort in Orlando, Quail West in Naples, Tesoro in Miami, Burke Mountain VT, etc. Also heavily involved in operations within company (5 Star level, Ritz, Breakers, etc.). These policies resulted in standardized procedure which improved efficiencies and profits company wide.
Nantucket Island Resorts
Served as the Corporate Controller for Nantucket Island Resorts off the coast of Cape Cod on Nantucket Island. Responsible for finance and financial reporting for all resorts on the island (5 plus one of the largest marinas in the country). All properties are high end (ADR of 400-900+) as well as some of the highest rated restaurants in North America on the exclusive island of Nantucket.
Also served as Independent Consultant, specialized in providing professional consulting and contract work in the hospitality/resort industry. Provided professional consulting to institutional investors as a member of the Council of Advisors (currently still a member). In addition, provided professional contract and consulting independently with many companies, including a long term project with Summer Bay Resorts in Orlando, redesigning and creating new financial and operating reports and systems. In offering my services, am working with temporary assignments and consulting in all areas.
- Organized corporate financial team implemented a monthly financial calendar and review process creating a culture of financial responsibility and standards of accountability.
- Implemented a monthly forecasting process and line item forecasting model, along with budgeting processes.
- Developed comprehensive cost savings programs during periods of economic downturn without negatively impacting the guest experience.
- Directed transient yield and group evaluation revenue management department.
- Primary focus includes business planning and budgeting at corporate and property levels, financial and management reporting and analysis, internal controls, treasury management, risk management, and company process improvement.
- Developed company wide policies resulting in significantly reduced expenses and improved internal controls.
- Oversight of all accounting functions, including financial controls and reporting, daily, monthly, quarterly and yearly reporting
- Full Responsibility for Budgeting for all areas of company, and budget management and performance to budgets/forecasts along with management.
- Developed, monitored and reported on key financial metrics that enable operations executives to evaluate the company’s performance across operations, management, and development.
- Member of Executive team with extensive involvement in strategic planning as well as all aspects of operations & management.
Regional Controller/Director Resort Operations
Served as Corporate Director of Accounting/Resort Operations for the largest vacation ownership resort operator/developer in the nation. Responsible for accounting/finance and resort operations within company. Portfolio includes the first and second largest timeshare resorts in the world. While at company have structured new accounting flow and process for the resorts. Overall operational direction and full accounting responsibility for all resorts nationwide.
Responsible for 10 resorts, over 4,500 rooms and over 20 companies from Florida to Utah. Leading the process to create and implement systems for all resort accounting and operations from managerial accounting, performance controls, internal controls, to profit & loss and balance sheet. Directly involved with the due diligence, feasibility studies and implementation of start up for new property developments and acquisitions. Directly involved with all operational and financial reporting/issues with all HOAs as well as rental and F&B/ Retail operations. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Resort Operations and also responsible for the operations of all resorts with the VP, specializing in the financial area.
Accomplishments Include but are not limited to:
- Analyzed all accounting and operational procedures within company and made recommendations on procedures to change, create, modify to improve performance, management and profits.
- Created and implemented standardized Profit & Loss Statements for all resorts within company.
- Created and implemented standardized performance measurement controls for all resorts.
- Created standardized chart of accounts for all resorts.
- Authored, created and implemented complete Accounting Standard Operating Procedures for all resorts within company.
- P&L Responsibility for all resorts, budgets totaling over $75,000,000
- Performance Controls and Standardized Reports/Procedures implemented resulted in increase of NOI of $1,073,620 (210%) in F&B/Retail Operations just for 2 Orlando Flagship Resorts (Westgate Lakes and Westgate Vacation Villas)
- Assisted Vice President/Director of Resort Operations with operational issues.- Completed all capital and operating budgets and pro-formas/business plans for new property acquisitions.
- Provided Leadership and guidance to all resort General Managers and their teams on operational, financial, budgeting, reporting and performance issues.
2001 Seasonal Resort/Position
Managing Director/Director of Finance
Lake Morey Resort & Country Club
Served as General Manager of full service resort. Began position as Director of Finance with the main objective of creating and implementing all accounting functions and internal controls of resort. Requested to assume duties of Managing Director/General Manager by owner in addition to accounting function.250-Acre Resort consists of 166 rooms and suites, multiple F&B outlets including fine dining, 18 hole championship golf course, over 20 meeting rooms and banquet halls, health club and spa, tennis courts with boating and many activities for adults and children on the resorts 600-acre lake. Left position to relocate to Florida.
1999 to 2000 Seasonal Resort/Position
Atlantic Eryie Resort
Bar Harbor, ME
Regional Controller/Financial Analyst
American Skiing Company/Grand Summit Resorts
Sunday River, Bethel, ME
Joined ASC as Controller and director of operations with the construction and opening of the first Grand Summit Resort at Attitash Bear Peak Ski Resort in Bartlett, New Hampshire. Transferred to Sunday River Ski Resort as Financial Analyst/Controller for all of lodging. Lodging at Sunday River consisted of two Full Service RCI Gold Crown Grand Summit Hotels, one limited service hotel, and over 750 Condominiums (over 1300 rooms). Directed the purchasing and accounting for all companies. In addition to the hotels directed the accounting for the 11 separate condo associations located at the resort.
Accomplishments worth noting:
- Developed and implemented all operating procedures for hotel operations- Developed and implemented front office accounting system utilizing the Springer Miller Host PMS system.
- Developed and implemented start up owner accounting system on property PMS.
- Developed and implemented night audit and systems for hotel and owner accounting to report to resorts back office accounting system, CODA Financials.
- Developed standardized Chart of Accounts for hotel and hotels owner association (Grand Summit Unit Owners Association). This chart of accounts was later recognized as the best practice in company and implemented at new Grand Summit Resorts
- Developed all operating budgets for hotel operations and owner association.
- Developed and implemented internal controls and revenue and expense controls/performance tools for all facets of hotel operations.
- Served on the hotel associations Board of Directors as Secretary/Asst. Treasurer (under the ski resorts VP of Finance).
- Developed and implemented Budgeting, Performance and Forecasting Models (spreadsheets, methodology, etc.), which were chosen as the companys best, practice and implemented at other resorts.
- Directed and oversaw all payments and collections of associations dues
- Directed and oversaw all payments of rental income to owners participating in rental program.
- Maintained adherence to hotels operating budgets.
- Maintained adherence to associations operating budgets.
- Entered and oversaw all journal entries for hotel and association.
- Responsible for all financial reporting of hotel and associations, including but not limited to; Income/Profit Plans, balance sheets, etc. All companies were fully closed on a weekly basis.
- Worked closely with VP of finance and ASC VP of hotel operations to analyze and prepare operating budgets for new hotels as they came on line.
- Chosen to serve on the ASC task force to develop night audit procedures and internal controls for all of company’s hotels.
Sheraton North Conway/Downeast Inns
North Conway, NH and Bar Harbor and coast of Maine
Now North Conway Grand Hotel
General Manager/Task Force General Manager
Howard Johnson Hotel
Evansville, IN, Nationwide
Various Hotel Companies – Interstate, Motels of America, Best Inns, Independent Hotels
General Manager/Asst. Regional Mgr./Asst. Manager
For simplicity sake, I chose to combine these positions into one time frame. I began many years ago as a night auditor during college, then became an assistant general manager with a limited service chain and was transferred from Kentucky to Chicago to Florida. I have also served as an Assistant Regional Manager and General Manager for full service properties in Chicago, St. Louis, and Iowa.
-Developed, created and implemented complete operational and financial corporate policies and procedures. This included but was not limited to complete resort and company operating procedures, internal controls, standards, measurements, performance, etc. Created policies for companies with as little as one hotel, as well as company wide policy for as many as 17 Resorts & Associations, resulting in standardized operating procedures which increased guest satisfaction as well as company profit.
-Also have vast experience with Ski Resorts and Real Estate Developments with American Skiing Company and Grand Summit Resorts, as well as full resort development with golf with Ginn Resorts and others.
-Analyzed accounting and operational procedures and created and implemented policies and procedures to standardize systems within companies.
-Developed, created and implemented systems to provide meaningful weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly financial reports and forecasting of revenues, expenses, profits and cash positions.
-As Director of Finance and Corporate Controller, worked with and mentored Senior Operational Management in preparing quarterly and annual business plans, forecasts and budgets, performance measurement, designed and implemented internal controls, etc.
-Expertise in budgeting, forecasting, performance measurement and productivity. Have successfully created and developed all these systems, and have effectively trained and mentored management staff in adhering to systems and accountability, resulting in increased profits and customer satisfaction. This has been in the areas of both finance and operations.
-Created and implemented standardized Profit & Loss Statements
-Created and implemented standardized performance measurement controls.
-Created and implemented standardized chart of accounts
-Authored, created and implemented complete Accounting Standard Operating Procedures for all resorts within companies.
References available upon request