JON R. CULBERTSON**** ****** *****
~ San Diego, California 92117858.***.****
GLOBAL COMMERCIAL DIRECTOR | GLOBAL SALES DIRECTOR | VERTICAL MARKET LEADER
Accomplished, creative, and self-motivated professional, offering wide-ranging background in international sales management, business development and marketing of high-value industrial instruments,
software and services. Accurate and highly ethical while contributing immediately to corporate financial goals and objectives. Expert at establishing professional relationships with customers,
partners, and executives to develop new and innovative revenue opportunities. Equipped with exceptional organizational expertise, a keen attention to detail, and outstanding communication skills to
build motivating, positive team environments. Knowledgeable in GFAA, ICPMS, XRF, XRD, PGNAA, and LIBS/OES technologies as well as domestic and international minerals, cement, coal, power,
semiconductor and silicon wafer markets.
Business Development/Key Account Management
- Produced profitable repeat business by establishing key accounts, initiating long-term frame agreements, and creating enduring professional client relationships.
Sales Leadership, Training and Development
- Managed, led and mentored team of global sales and service professionals in all six inhabited continents.
- Facilitated annual training sessions, including regional contract negotiation, price and value proposition-based strategies.
OEM and Distributor Negotiation
- Originated OEM agreements in the cement industry for the cross-supply of PGNAA instrumentation and process control software; established best-in-class sales channels to drive growth
Business Performance Management
- Strong history of meeting or exceeding financial commitments, including bookings, revenue growth, market share, emerging market penetration, total spend, etc.
- AOP development for an $11M North American cement and coal after-sales service business.
- Formulated and presented global strategic plans for two vertical markets including a diverse portfolio of analytical instruments and services.
- Utilized VOC feedback and SWOT analysis techniques, and others, in conducting competitive analysis and new product development strategies; identified and evaluated acquisition targets
- Directed product positioning, guided product development, and justified new pricing strategies using value maps, competitive intelligence, and comprehensive market analyses.
- Organized database for orders and final pricing to track global market share, pricing trends, and regional growth; oversaw pricing strategy and drove equipment design cost reductions
through gross margin analysis using factory cost of goods sold (COGS).
- Collaborated with R&D in overseeing product development for the cement and coal markets; utilized phase-gate and other project management tools in monitoring the progression of key PGNAA,
LIBS analyzer, and software development projects.
THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC, INC. ~ SAN DIEGO, CA 1999 ~ PRESENT
Global Commercial Director (Materials and Minerals Business Unit)
Provide expert commercial oversight to approximately $40M international analyzer business in the cement, coal, and coal-fired power markets. Deliver exceptional leadership in overseeing the entire
business development activities, which include sales, key account acquisition, strategic planning, marketing, administration, channels/distribution network development, applications support, and
services for online, nuclear-based, elemental analysis products. Demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills in developing and maintaining OEM relationships and agreements with global process
companies. Play an instrumental role in identifying and contracting with new distributors for the Chinese, Russian, and Eastern European territories. Spearhead negotiation and secure major
contracts in United States, India, China, Europe, and the Middle East.
- Rendered effective supervision to more than 60 direct and functional sales and service professionals while overseeing P&L of a team of 20 service professionals in North America, and 7
remote sales and service offices.
- Boosted annual global sales by more than 150% through consistent regional development and focused strategic alliance efforts.
- Substantially grew global market share from 52% to more than 74%.
- Effectively instituted regional sales and service offices in UAE, Germany, India, and Brazil.
- Conceptualized and executed sales incentive system aimed at rewarding results and premium price.
- Significantly improved sales in key markets and accounts by forming and directing a technical and application team to support the global sales network.
- Coordinated “One-Thermo” and “Connections” cross-divisional teams at trade shows, customer meetings, and developed synergistic portfolio-based marcom.
- Delivered exemplary performance in reorganizing and streamlining global direct sales and representative network to concentrate on strategic markets and to improve customer response and
quality of service.
- Remarkably launched new products that were developed through VOC and phase-gate processes.
- Rendered support in integrating new sales processes and systems such as Salesforce.com CRM.
International Sales Leader, Americas (Materials and Minerals Business Unit)
Engaged in efficiently completing front-end commercial and application engineering responsibility for North and South American territories pertaining to online PGNAA instrumentation products in
cement, coal, and coal-fired power markets. Held accountability in managing front-line sales efforts, encompassing extensive customer interactions at top levels. Directly supervised three direct
reports as well as six regional sales representatives.
- Consistently surpassed AOP bookings and gross margin targets by applying best practices.
- Successfully secured individual sales record of $5.5M in new product bookings in 2005.
- Effectively enhanced customer process operating efficiency, raw material monitoring and control as well as leading to solution sales by accomplishing detailed plant studies and establishing
- Earned special recognition award for key account management in 2004.
International Sales Manager (Real Time Analytics Business Unit)
Demonstrated expertise in overseeing front-end sales of high-tech capital equipment to cement and mineral processing industries in North American and Latin American markets. Conducted extensive
visits to various minerals processing facilities (copper, lead, zinc, iron, gold, calcium carbonate, and others) across North America and Europe.
- Instrumental in securing strategic orders in the United States, Argentina, Puerto Rico, Spain and other countries.
- Acquired great experience with ultrasonic, X-ray fluorescence (XRF), and prompt-gamma neutron activation analyses (PGNAA) technology, applications and techniques.
AIR LIQUIDE CORPORATION ~ FALLBROOK, CA 1994 ~ 1998
US Sales Manager
Master of Business Administration (2011) - POINT LOMA NAZARENE UNIVERSITY ~ SAN DIEGO, CA
Thermo Fisher Scientific Company-Sponsored Program
Thesis: “A Marketing Strategy for a New Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy-Based
Blast Hole Analyzer for Use in Limestone Quarries”
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (1993) - COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY ~ FORT COLLINS, CO
Pi Tau Sigma National Mechanical Engineering Honor Society
American Public Power Association Deed Scholarship
Paid Student Engineer for Mechanical Engineering Department’s “Energy Analysis and Diagnostic Center” (EADC), supported through funding by DOE
CSU Honors Program
Developing Emerging Leaders - Inaugural Class (2011) - THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC ~ WALTHAM, MA
The Art of Project Management - AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS (ASME) ~ PHOENIX, AZ
Role of the Leader Training - THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC ~ SAN DIEGO, CA
Minerals Processing - COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES ~ GOLDEN, CO