|Ian E. Johnson, MBA, CMA, CFM, SCPM
Certified Management Accountant, Certified in Financial Management
Stanford Certified Project Manager
Res.: (905) *** – **** Oth: (416) *** ****
e-Mail: email@example.com ________________________________________
Con•sci•entious – (of a person or conduct) diligent and scrupulous, use innovation, efficiency and effectiveness to attain targeted results or better
A Corporate Finance, Strategy, Business Systems, Enterprise Risk and Project Management Professional who has substantial and progressive experience in: financial services, information technology development & implementation, healthcare and government sectors. A hands-on manager with expertise and proven competencies in: accounting systems development, capital planning, fiscal management, business strategy, performance management, program management, business process reengineering & transformation (CMMI), enterprise risk management and financial reporting. I have a proven record of developing and implementing financial and operational plans and controls that improves P&L situation and competitively position Corporation while enhancing stakeholders' value.
• Certified Management Accountant (CMA) – Management & Financial Accounting, IT, Taxation and Strategic Finance
• Certified in Financial Management (CFM) – Corporate Finance, Investments Decisions (IPO, M&A, SP, FC, FI, CM & underwriting) and Enterprise Risk Management(ICMA – USA); analogous to CFA Charter
• Stanford Certified Project Manager (SCPM) – Complex Programs and Portfolios; Finance, Strategy, Policy, Construction and Technology implementation (Stanford University)
• Used activity based costing (ABC) methods to fully cost and price all services, products and instruments supplied/sold by 10 lines of business to both internal and external clients; also served as subject matter expert (SME) banking operations to enterprise-wide costing and pricing project at a major Canadian Tier 1 bank (2002)
• Led the financial planning (budgets & forecasts) function, coordinated the development and implementation of financial (budgets & forecasts) and performance strategies, reporting and variance analysis for ten (10) lines of business in a bank including one cross-board business: NAIP; increased total gross margin from $500 million to $550 million over two year period (2003).
• Completed corporate turnarounds; assessed internal controls and strategy implementation in a failing organization, identified gaps in operations, developed plan of action, created change management plan, and performance management plan- KPI’s, KRI’s, Balanced Scorecard; directed implementation, client generated enhanced revenues and internal efficiency (2011).
• Helped/facilitated a local clothing manufacturer secure lucrative supply contract to service a major national and global institution, in my capacity as interim (contract) VP Finance and Admin (2006)
• Created the financial infrastructure for transaction management and performance reporting (Balanced Score Card, KPI, KRI) for a new $417 million bank division (2004); created new finance department for post-merger entity with accounting operations, transaction and performance management, and reporting processes, selected and lead deployment of new financial system; developed other administrative policies to facilitate integration (2008)
• Strong demonstrable experience developing IT systems; computer applications Microsoft productivity suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.), PeopleSoft/Oracle, analytics – financial, statistical & economic programs including, database design, , statistical data modeling, SPSS, SAS, BMPD, STATgr, MS Great Plains Dynamics, JDE, MS Access, Hyperion Essbase, SQL,Palo, Crystal Ball, DBIV, Minitab; Risk Assessor, analytics, ERP systems, NETSuite, computer applications and financial modeling (1990)
• Completed or supported several “value for money” and program audits and investigations while working in government (e.g., CofA program, Spills Centre, MISA), a secondary requirement of my management accountabilities (1995)
• Identified (investigated) and corrected pricing errors after poor monthly performance results using forensic accounting techniques, saved employer (a bank) from potential $50 million loss, developed automated template to upload financial results to Oracle/PeopleSoft accounting system to prevent reoccurrence (2001).
• Completed full cycle accounting operations, including management of operating budget of $740 million and reported on financial performance (monthly & quarterly) to Management Board Secretariat (MBS) of Cabinet on the finances of 26 departments of the Ontario Ministry of Finance, and coordinated a government-wide grants and contributions fund, prepared 3-year rolling budgets for each department and zero-based budgets for new initiatives (2000)
• Lead government/industry team of experts (vice presidents & directors) that investigated potential impacts of proposed government regulations on three economic sectors, recommended mitigation – regulations acceded (1997).
• Coordinated the implementation of financial and performance strategies, and service level agreements (SLA’s) for ten (10) lines of business in a bank, increased total gross margin from $500 million to $550 million over two year period (2003).
• Investigated funding applicants to verify purchase of $2.6 million stainless steel fishing boat at sea using float plane to board boat off Grise Fjord; a hotel cold crop farming in Inuvik, and an egg laying operations at Hay River (Northwest Territories) (1988)
• Managed individual projects ranging from $ 0.5 to 15.0 million; largest project portfolio managed was a $417 million IT initiative (modernization front and back office platforms & client database standardization, “clean up” and consolidation); provided deliverables on time and within budget.
"Leading and motivating high performance teams to seamlessly execute corporate plans, solve real customer issues, and achieve planned results or better.”
Through work and training I have honed the following capabilities and skills:
Strategic Execution – Plan and executed internal audits, strategic plans to achieve profitability and performance targets, financial planning, budgeting and forecasting, and trained in methodologies to effectively convert strategies to results.
Compliance – Knowledgeable in internal control systems (COSO, CoCo, COBIT, SAC), demonstrable experience in financial compliance (SOX, Bill 198 & CSA Multilateral Instrument 52-111, Basel I, II, III (updates), Solvency II – certification and compliance) – ALM, Governance, Risk and Compliance; Canadian & US GAAP, IFRS accounting reporting systems
Effective Communications – Completed several high profile regulatory reports, draft policies and assessments for employers and clients. Used training in extension methods to develop communication plans, implemented change management and attainment of team goals.
Team Leadership – Business transformation, strategic and business plans formulation, implementation, evaluation and repositioning; external financial environments, M&A due diligence, capital financing, divestiture; team management and collaboration with span of control up to 10 direct reports, coordinated a team of 200 plus professionals and associates.
Achieving Results – Project Management Approaches (SDLC, PMBOK, SCPM, waterfall, cascade, Prince2, IBM’s RUP, Agile and ITIL), IT architecture and policies, familiarity with both procedural (e.g., C/C++, Visual Basic) and object oriented (i.e., Small talk , Java) programming, reverse engineering using Rose tool, unified list manager and CASE tools to boost development productivity.
Education and Professional Development
• Stanford University (March 2009)
o Stanford Advanced Project Management Certificate and Stanford Certified Project Manager (SCPM) designation
- Converting Strategy into Action (CSIA)
- Mastering the Integrated Program (MIP)
- Mastering the Project Portfolio/PMP PMBOK (MPP)
- Financial Mastery for Projects (FMP)
- The Strategic PMO: Project to Enterprise (SPMO)
- Leadership for Strategic Execution (LSE)
• California State University (2000)
o MBA – Finance and International Business – Attained high scholastic achievement consequently inducted in American Business Administration Honor Society – Delta Mu Delta –
• ICS/Northland University (1988)
o Dip. Bus. Man. – Management, Corporate Law, Entrepreneurship and Marketing
• University of Manitoba (1986)
o MNRM (i.e. M.Sc.) – Resource Economics and Energy Analysis (renewable, oil & gas)
• McGill University (1983)
o B.Sc. (Agr.) with DISTINCTION - Community Resource Development
• Lean Management – RVHS/Breakthrough Horizons Ltd. (2010)
• Advanced Certificate in Corporate Board Governance (Governance Centre of Excellence Ontario Hospital Association - OHA) (2011)
• Governance –Strategic Resource Development (Financing & Fund Raising) DiverseCity Maytree/Gibson (2011)
• Governance Training – Strategic Planning – Maytree/DiverseCity (2011)
• Essential of Governance for Public Sector Boards - Governance Centre of Excellence/OHA (2009)
• Consumer Credit and Risk Assessment (ICCS) – BMO IFL (2005)
• Money Laundering – FINTRAC Training (BMO 2003)
• Auditing and Business Assurance – Ryerson University (2002)
• Bank Financial Risk Management – Canadian Institute of Bankers – BMO IFL (2001)
• Global Supply Chain and Purchasing Management - CSUDH – January (1999)
• Hyperion (SAS) Performance Management/Strategy Business Planning – TSA Course, 1999
• Law and Business of E-Commerce - CSUDH - June (1998)
• Management of Information and Telecommunications Systems Resources – City University – (1989)
• Evaluation of Canadian Oil and Gas Properties - Petroleum Society of the Canadian Institute of Mines - (1989)
• Certificate in Project Management (T901)– Public Service Commission of Canada (1987)
Agile Business Strategy & Analytics (Canada) Inc
Director (MD)/Executive Consultant - Corporate Finance 2006 - Present
• A strategic business partner to the CEO's, CFO's, CRO's, corporate boards, executive management teams and managers undertaking: strategic finance plans, corporate finance frameworks, operational analysis, accounting compliance, SOX, Bill 198, risk management, accounting operations, treasury strategies/working capital management & investments, budgeting, forecasts, project finance, PMO set up/project controls, financial framework and IFRS conversion implementation, IT & MIS strategies and policies, investment management, performance initiatives, Capability Maturity Model Integration(CMMI), Strategic Expense Management strategies, Activity Based Costing/Management (ABC/M), new product planning and implementation, product line profitability & growth, driving excess costs from the bottom line, etc
• Design and implementation of various types of business strategies for short and long-term goals attainment given the client's internal and external realities
• Direct the compliance, transfer pricing, regulatory and risk management functions within the business; Project Management (PMBOK, SCPM, Prince2, Agile and ITIL)
• Business systems analysis, development and deployment: Microsoft productivity suite, People soft/Oracle, Hyperion, ERP systems, NETSuite, Hyperion Suite, Great Plains Dynamic, Palo, Crystal Ball, etc., Testing and end-user verification
• Improve and enhance operational efficiencies through streamlined processes and cutting edge technologies, Corporate social and environmental responsibility - community and market engagement
• Manage credit, AP, AR, Cash flow, Revenue Recognition, Treasury and Payroll functions as well as MD&A reporting
Corporate Governance, Finance and Risk - 2009, 2010, 2011, CFO (interim) - Socio-religious entity, (managed full accounting, treasury, working capital & cash, taxation & GST/HST); Lead Business Systems Consultant - Implement business transformation initiative (accounting, taxation, securitization, MIS reporting, business system (PeopleSoft); CFO - CCIM, IT services organization (business systems, revenue recognition, internal controls, payroll, purchasing, AR, AR, taxation, banking& investments), VP Finance & Administration (interim) (Led RFP response bid team, manufacturing)
Vice President Corporate Operations turnaround assignment (non-disclosure) 2011
Investigated reasons or root causes of operational failure and identified gaps in strategy implementation: Finance, strategy/business model, IT, talent management, enterprise risk, legal, taxation, facilities, transportation, alliances, communications and social responsibility
Chief Financial Officer/Financial Secretary (Interim) Oshawa Subsidiary of Global Entity Jan– Aug 2009
Complete accounting/finance/risk function, taxation & GST reporting, financial analysis, budgeting & strategic planning, cash flow, risk management, audit facilitation of nine (9) local operating units, advise President and executives, daily transaction transmission and weekly reporting to headquarters in USA.
Business Systems Lead Consultant (Project Manager) – Business Systems, Leasing, Honda Canada Finance, Inc. Aug to Dec 2008 (Sub Contractor to Jefferson Wells)
Lead implementation upgrade and transformation of CASS-AF (Fidelity), Hyperion and PeopleSoft financial systems to conform to the client’s new strategic business direction using RAD (Rapid Application Development) methodologies. Coordinated two teams (in North York, Toronto and Torrance, Los Angeles)
Lead Finance Executive (CFO) Continuing Care e-Health (CCIM) 2007 – 2008
(Blue Pebble Contract)
Reporting the COO, developed accounting framework for new entity, managed and coordinated all aspects of the finances & accounting of 13 projects and functional areas; identified and implemented the required financial application, instituted internal controls and staffed four (4) identified roles deployed in operating units; while managing a budget that grew from $48 million to just under $ 200 million.
• Direct, coordinate, and administer all aspects of organization’s finances and corporate operations and subsidiary operations at clients’ sites. Responsible for recruitment, performance review, discipline and overall supervision of the finance staff and project leads
• Implemented strategic processes to achieve long-term goals and objectives – financial planning and analysis to enhance performance, productivity, profitability and shareholder value
• Identify and monitor results related to key strategic KPIs and development metrics such as quality, forecast accuracy, project deadlines, client/end-user satisfaction, budget, scope, enterprise risk management, etc. ensuring compliance mechanisms in line with corporate and growth objectives; and manage cross-functional project teams
• Manage on-going relationships with TPA’s and processing agencies (CMHA, CILT, Baycrest, and TCCAC) to ensure proper accounting of funding received, revenue recognition and monthly draw downs. Conduct ad hoc inquiries to investigate payroll irregularities; conduct monthly bank reconciliations
• Prepare strategic planning together with budgeting and forecasting and new project analyses – develop a 3 -year rolling budget and business plan (RBP). Develop and present monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports using Great Plains Dynamic and FRX; financial analysis and strategic decision support
• Prepare financial reports and analyses outlining corporate performance, market trends and recommendations that identify short/long term needs for the Executive Team and Market Development Team. Coordinate the preparation and submission of accurate financial, tax and other regulatory & compliance filings on a timely basis.
• Coordinate the preparation of audit papers and to assist internal and external auditors, and documentation of various reporting committees
• Develop and coordinate an effective internal control and audit program, including appropriate financial systems, meeting the demands of our employer-clients and external stakeholders and regulators
• Develop and implement an annual internal financial strategy and related policies that supports business objectives and promotes an engaged, informed and motivated cadre of associates and project leads.
• Establish and implement planning and operations strategies, policies and procedures to ensure optimal client service at each project engagement and in BP administrative functions
Bank of Montreal, BMO Financial Group 2000 - 2006
Finance Lead/ Controller (PM) – BMO Connect (Info Technology) 2003 - 2006
Reporting to the Vice President of Development, leading a team of 4, managed and coordinated all aspects of the finances & accounting of a $400 million plus cost IT project to generate enhanced customer value and increase brand profitability; determine and monitor regulatory capital requirements based on estimated project VAR; responsible for performance analytics and quarterly financial reporting to the Board/MBEC: business case development, financing & authorizations, budgeting, strategic planning, risk assessment and mitigation, forecasting, financial modeling, variance analysis, re-planning, accounting policy, regulatory compliance and financial controls, vendor contract management and invoice payment, performance management, financial reporting & decision support.
• Contributed business, risk, accounting/taxation, related IT strategy in business case; participated in WBS and lead costing, financial planning and analysis, project KPIs and RPI's (both project & deliverables) identification and monitoring; identification of dependencies and interfaces, PM on project steering and change management committees; team room/ MS SharePoint, architecture and scaling reviews and development of deliverables options (for various combinations of functionalities) to cope with funding shortfall ; managed suppliers/vendors contracts and relationships; system and UA testing and verification
• Identified, developed and tracked key performance indicators and metrics (SRs, Priority Leads, MDIF, CSs, Referrals, NCCS, On-boarding, Int. Cheque Ordering, Call reports, etc.), developed interactive dashboard to track and monitor implementation performance
• Coordinated all aspect of the program’s Financial and Business Planning (cost and benefits), Business case analysis, strategic sizing – resulting in 21% cost savings
• Managed project costs vis-à-vis projected benefits to ensure that project risk-adjusted assets and impacts are aligned with project assigned regulatory capital through quarterly reassessments and recalculations in line with OSFI & Basel regulatory risk and capital requirements.
• Computed with explanation accurate, timely and comprehensive monthly variance analyses (actual “vs.” plan) on capital expenditures, non-interest expenses and cross billings
• Developed analytical “what if” scenarios in support of “ad hoc” and strategic decision-making; including efficient modalities to achieve a $50 million forced retrenchment
Senior Manager, Strategic Expense Control, Costing and Billing, Banking Operations 2000 – 2003
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, leading 1 direct and 10 dotted line team members, coordinated and Managed Financial reporting for Processing Services (ten lines of business – LOB; including Term Investments, Support Services, Mutual Funds, Everyday Banking) in costing/pricing, billing and recoveries function, and provided decision support analytics.
• Achieved cost levels and improved operating margins (19%), productivity and profitability at Processing Services Division – recoveries of over $ 550 million annually. Instituted improved pricing structure to better match prices and expenses
• Monthly, quarterly annually LOB reporting using PROgress and Essbase; provide variance explanations
• Developed Symcor LOB bill plan to invoice external entities and process direct recoveries, and pricing strategy; transfer pricing, maintained and used Cheque model in recoveries management
• SOX certification (EVP’s accountability), and Section 404 reporting; contribution to Divisional Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A)
• Develop and present monthly results of financial planning and analysis after “2nd critical” (five business days after month end) for each of the 10 lines of business managed, investigated and explained variances, and prepare report for senior management
• Contributed bank-ops expertise in the development of enterprise-wide activity-based costing financial system (Project Insight) to accurately cost and price products, instruments and services
• Provided strategic analyses to coded projects (divestiture, opportunities, reorganization, reengineering, etc.) and input to executive decisions
Ontario Ministry of Finance 1996 - 2000
Manager, Financial Management and Corporate Strategic Initiatives 1997 - 2000
• Managed Ministry’s largest operational budget of $740 million; consistently achieved all corporate objectives, including 17 % productivity gain, completed cash flow forecasts, commitment management, year-end position projections, financial management and internal reporting to Senior Management & external reporting to central agencies; Coordinated capital, contributions and grants fund - $1.2 billion
• Developed monthly, quarterly and annual fund reports (like P/L reports): expenditure forecasting, financial commitment administration, financial planning and analysis with variance analysis & explanation, requests for additional funds, reallocation of funds among strategic projects & departments, year-end reconciliation, fund management
• Lead team that completed Hyperion proof of concept for Strategy, Planning and Management modules
• Prepared month-end closing, consolidation, reconciliation, GL, AP, AR, cash flow monitoring, annual financial statements & discussions; financial planning and analyses, investigated and explained all program variances
• Collaborated in the preparation of the annual (strategic) business planning/budget, plan justification, forecasts and analyses; area of responsibility included Financial Services Commission, Revenue Operations & Client Services, Stadium Corporation of Ontario, and Deposit Insurance Corporation of Ontario
• Consolidated, developed and automated organization’s “Delegation of Financial and Administrative Authority” into a fully interactive document with bookmarks and hyperlinks to appropriate Ontario Statutes, directives, policies and other references on the Ministry Intranet site and pages on the Internet
Ontario Ministry of Finance
Financial Economist, Inter-Governmental Finance 1996 – 1997
• Developed financial models to simulate and track the implications of taxation and fiscal measures across Canada and US border states (Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania) on the Ontario economy; recommended counter measures
Ontario Ministry of Environment and Energy
Economic Advisor – Industry Impact Analysis and Capital Projects 1989 – 1996
• Completed several financial, economic and regulatory analyses on proposed investments and policies, and including infrastructure capital projects evaluation
• Completed several finance and economic inquiries and audits to assess value money, or cost (or pricing) to deliver services (Certificate of Approval (CofA), Spills Centre, etc,) and due diligence for P3 projects (water treatment plants, sewage, landfills)
• Lead industry/government teams (@ Director/VP level) for three separate industrial sectors, petroleum refining, electric power generation, and mining that assessed the economic feasibility of proposed environmental standards under the Municipal Industrial Strategy for Abatement (MISA) program and potential for economic hardship, and other impacts in these sectors
Government of Northwest Territories
Director / Resource Economist (Oil and Gas), 1987 – 1989
Petroleum Resources & Mines
• Under took financial and regulatory analysis on proposed investment projects
• Developed financial, economic and fiscal models
• Participated in strategic planning and delivery process regarding regional economic development
• Managed economic analyses team and consultants
• Forecasted (using PEEP model) oil and gas production, demand levels, revenues and royalty due government/regulators.
2010 – Present - Member - Board of Directors, Rouge Valley Health System (Governance & Finance Committees, Community Advisory Group)
2009 - Director, Institute of Management Accountants – Toronto Chapter
1999 – 2003 - Member, Board of Directors – Ballet Creole and School of Performing Arts – Marketing and Finance Committees
1999 – 2001 - Member, Durham Region Advisory Committee on Environment and Waste Management Strategies
1992 - Member Working Group on Economic Adjustment in the Ontario Petroleum Refining and Petrochemical Industries
1990 - Member, Office of Greater Toronto Area, GTA Economic Vitality Working Group
Canadian Military Service
Commissioned Officer (2Lt), Administration, Personnel Management & Logistics, Canadian Air Force Reserves, 1989 – 1996
Languages: English with a working knowledge of French
CMA, CFM, CGA, LLB, JD, CA, CFA, MBA, green energy, Environmental Economics, C.A. – Chartered Accountant, ACCA, CPA, VP Finance, LLM (International Finance & Banking),CFO, Director, cap-and-trade, COO, Income Tax, CICA, Administration, OSFI, FINTRAC, Compliance, ALM., Mezzanine, ACCOUNT, SCPM, CBSA, CBAP, PMP, CIA, CISA, FRM, RRPM, SEC, CRM, OFAC, OCC, Bank Act, CPA, IDA/OSC, BSA, PIPEDA
Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, SQL, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook), MS Project, FrontPage, IFIS (uses Oracle Financial Platform- Oracle GL, Payables, Cash Management, Projects, Assets, Inventory Purchasing, Receivables, Oracle Financial Analyzer), SAP, ERP, Corel Draw, Presentations, Walker Financial System, LINDO (Operations Management), Lotus 123 Suite, WordPerfect, Microsoft Dynamic/Great Plains, Hyperion Enterprise System- Performance Management, ACCPAC Plus, MiniTab Statistical Program, BMPD, Hyperion (Sapling NetProphet) ABC/M, Statsgraphics, Crystal Reports, Proprietary (logistic/supply chain analytics) system, SAS Econometric, SPSS, Fox Pro, dBase, Report writer, Harvard Graphics, Hyperion Wired for OLAP
The proven skillful experience and distinctive competencies c
template resumes in Toronto, ON, Canada
sap resumes in Toronto, ON, Canada
c.p.a. resumes in Toronto, ON, Canada
hyperion resumes in Toronto, ON, Canada
sas resumes in Toronto, ON, Canada
Similar ResumesExperience Information Technology Software Engineering
India, Bangalore, KA - keyboard, fresher, windows7, pcb, bangalore, vhdl,...Business Analyst Management Financial Manager
Houston, TX - hyperion, business analyst, houston, analyst,...Human Resources Medical Manager Service Experience
Greer, SC - applicant, submit, falcon, kuwait, dental, army,...Experienced PMO
United States - pmo, vp, cmmi, pmp, bangalore, india, auditor,...Customer Service Quality Control Data Entry Representative
Dallas, TX - purchasing buyer, service coordinator, order entry,...Analyste programmeur, NSS Expert Engineer / NSS-Core Network Operation
Canada, Montréal, QC - le, en, de, sap, csharp, tac, qc, php, aspnet, 3g,...3D modeler, basic animator, after effects artist, CGI
Tracy, CA - tracy, animator, modeler, upon request, artist,...Oracle Sql Experience Java Design Engineer Data
Livingston, NJ - arch, etl, java, sql, oracle, iews, perl,...Administrative Assistant Executive Management
Athens, GA - executive assistant, team lead, nashville, vp,...Project Manager / Business Analyst
Dublin, OH - architect, obiee, informatica, sap, hyperion, etl,...