|Thomas W. Smalling, BS, MT, ASCP (MP)
*** * ******* **. 615-***-****
Murfreesboro, TN 37130 email@example.com
Strong background in Laboratory Management and Supervision, Molecular Technology, Infectious Diseases, Computer systems, and extensive experience in laboratory start-up and growth. Lifetime commitment to growth, team building, technology and perseverance.
Evening and Night shift Supervisor
Bristol Regional Medical Center – 2009 to 2010
--Reporting directly to Lab Manager.
Responsible for a staff of 10, including personnel supervision, technical supervision, scheduling and evaluations. Also responsible for day shift scheduling.
As a working supervisor, have current experience on the bench in each area of the lab, to include, hematology, chemistry, coagulation, urinalysis, microbiology and blood bank.
Director of Laboratory Services
Nashville General Hospital – 2006 to 2008
-- Reporting directly to COO.
Member of multiple committees including General Operations Team. Responsible for all aspects of clinical laboratory management including development and management of a $30 Million budget and 43 employees
• Extensive successful negotiation and interaction with Joint Commission and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
• Renegotiated contracts with multiple vendors for significant expense reduction.
• Increased laboratory efficiency from a worked hour per reportable of 0.31 to 0.21.
• Built new and updated laboratory services and compliance practices.
• Update of all policies and procedures and operations of the laboratory.
• Development of Outreach Program. Unifying testing and POCT for four facilities.
• Development of new testing using market analysis, cost analysis, preparation of pro forma, projections and budget.
Vanderbilt University 1997 – 2006
Supervisor, Molecular Infectious Disease Laboratory 2000-2005
Selected to build a new cost center and laboratory for Infectious Disease diagnosis using new Molecular Technology. Responsible for all aspects of starting, opening, developing, growing and managing the diagnostic laboratory utilizing molecular methods.
• Increased budget from $60,000 annually to $5 million in five years.
• Achieved positive revenue position within 18 months of opening although target was 5 years.
• Initiated twenty five new assays, most developed by research laboratory at Vanderbilt University.
• Achieved annual testing volume of 25,000.
• Used market analysis, cost analysis, re-imbursement analysis, preparation of pro forma, and projections to select feasible new testing.
• Successfully participated in two CAP inspections with zero deficiencies each.
• Assisted with Medical Technology courses and bench instruction for residents.
Also worked in research laboratory developing ELISA, immuno-staining, cell-culture techniques, and database construction and management.
National Reference Laboratory
Nominal Evening Supervisor of a 10,000 patient per day esoteric laboratory.
Specialization in virology and DNA hybridization assays.
Acculab, REN Corporation
• Assisted in the start-up, development, and operation of a renal dialysis patient-testing laboratory.
• Supervised and managed operations including
accessioning and specimen processing
LIS maintenance, trouble shooting, and data archiving.
Center for Clinical Sciences
• Assisted in the bench development of new and previously unavailable platforms:
Detection of antibody titers to Borrelia bergdorferii using fluorescent microscopy.
SCL-70 auto-immune antibodies using radial immuno-diffusion.
ELISA for IgG, IgA and IgM anti-cardiolipin antibodies.
Education Michigan State University 2001 Completed program in Molecular Diagnostics
Middle Tennessee State Univ. 2000 Bachelor's degree in Professional Chemistry.
Publications Molecular Approaches to Detecting Herpes Simplex Virus and Enteroviruses in the Central Nervous System, J Clin Microbiol. 2002 July; 40(7): 2317–2322.Thomas W. Smalling, Susan E. Sefers, Haijing Li, and Yi-Wei Tang
Licensure and Certification
Tennessee State Laboratory Supervisors License number 6780
ASCP (Molecular Pathology) License number 30
Similar ResumesCore Laboratory Manager
Phialdelphia, PA - technologist, laboratory, instrument, chemistry,...Lab Supervisor
Westbury, NY - sample, technologist, qc, instrument, samples, qa,...lab Supervisor
Salisbury, MD - peoria, regulatory compliance, chemist, chemists,...Dental Laboratory Technician
Washington, DC - fabricate, refractory, resin, invest, frameworks,...Laboratory/Office Manager
Smyrna, TN - tn, microbiology, occupational, tennessee,...Medical Technologist--Lab Manager
Edmond, OK - technologist, medical technologist, oklahoma,...Laboratory Supervisor
Las Vegas, NV - laboratory supervisor, nqa, pathologist, cerner,...Medical Technologist, Laboratory Supervisor
New York, NY - laboratory supervisor, medical technologist,...Clinical Laboratory Technologist
West Haverstraw, NY - ascp, medical technologist, sample, technologist,...Lab Supervisor
United States - aabb, ua, pathologist, lab manager, blood bank,...