Manager Project Manufacturing Management Engineer
|Michael J. Miller
** ****** *** ****
Oneonta, AL 35121
Ph. (205) ***-**** email@example.com Cell (205) ***-****
I am extremely experienced in startup and high visibility positions, just finishing a $30M+ expansion. I was a principal in revolutionizing the GM MFD Metal Center in Mansfield, OH - installing 22 transfer presses and managing a production zone of 600+ associates with a $50M budget. I earned an Executive MBA with specialization in operations and was selected to attend strategic seminars with Dave Thomas, Dick Dauch (Lee Iacocca’s operations executive) and Roger Penske. I know manufacturing and will bring world class synergy to your operations
2010 – Present Name Withheld
Project manager tasked with salvaging timing and budget of critical bay construction and press line move for tier 1 automotive firm. Line was critical to new work allocation and development of business plan. The overall startup was achieved in record time, within budget and with world class quality from the first part stamped. This saved the firm’s $75M in new work.
2008 – 2010 Thomas & Betts Corp. Steele, AL
Production manager for a “troubled” manufacturing plant. This facility was given a “last chance” to succeed or be closed. During my tenure the facility increased revenue from $22M to $52M and achieved a 45% gain in operational efficiency. This prompted the corporation to approve a $6M in expansion at this facility. Efficiency was taken from $220/ hour labor to $435/ hour labor.
2003 - 2007 Miller Enterprises, 77 Shelby Ave., Shelby, OH
Troubleshoot and assist in resolution of production and operations problems, acute and chronic. Assist clients in developing one piece flow methodology, pull systems integration and team development. Primarily worked with tier 1, tier 2, construction trades and service industries. Accomplishments included:
• Integrate JIT and TPS systems that reduce inventory by an average of 85% and improve productivity by an average 24%.
• Teach clients best in class, benchmarking, continuous improvement, etc. to promote the ability to problem solve efficiently from within the firm.
• Redeveloped die processing that eliminated two dies and reduced engineered scrap by 20%.
1981 – 2003 Metal fabricating Division, Mansfield Plant, General Motors Co.
2525 W. Fourth St., Mansfield, OH 44906
Products include major metal stampings and subassemblies. Facility employs 2500 and supplies GM assembly plants in North America.
1997 – 2003 Business Unit Manager. Managed a 600,000 square foot section of the facility with a workforce of 630 associates. Operating budget of $25M+ and managed
capital equipment & tooling in excess of $600M. Also acted ad hoc as facility manager
1992 – 1997 Project Manager. Acted in a principal role during installation of 12 transfer presses, attending automation and new tooling integration. Project values ranged from $5M to $50M with a high level of project overlap.
1990 – 1992 Area Manager. Participated in a pilot program where the area manager had control of all means of production form raw materials through shipping. This effort set the footprint for corporate rollout in 1994.
1983 - 1990 Tool & Die Manager. Managed major multiple die tryout loads as new press lines were installed in the facility. Redesigned the standards for die clamp up and scrap shed to accommodate 3 classes of transfer presses. Responsible for 450 associates and over 100 die set tryouts and PPAP.
1981 – 1983 Production Supervisor. Managed multiple line area with responsibility for throughput, quality and safety. Responsible to tooling and capital equipment in given area.
• Highly instrumental in guiding the facility from worst in GM to top in the World (Harbour Report of Stamping Facilities)
• Managed varied capital projects in excess of $5M during the conversion of the plant to highly automated facility that cut direct labor costs by 45%.
• Achieved world’s first production at engineered speed on two classes of transfer stamping presses. This increase productivity by 35% on each impacted line (Recognized by GM and machine tool manufacturers for this)
• Developed and implemented preventive and predictive maintenance programs that cut downtime by 28%.
• Inspired and promoted participative management processes founded on lowest level decision making policy.
• Mentored and coached associates, enhancing professional development and raising technical competency on the shop floor.
• Responsible for financial and productivity performance of area and operations.
• Dispatched as a tooling expert to assembly plants to troubleshoot tooling issues.
1980 – 1981 Superior Compressor Division – Cooper Energy Services
Mount Vernon, OH
Primary manufacturer of natural gas compressors and gas transmission components. Employed 350 with sales of $75M.
Job Titles Started as manufacturing engineer and was promoted to shift operations manager for division (3 plants on site and one in Springfield, OH)
• Directed cutting tool studies that resulted in 40% tooling cost reduction and a 22% gain in overall productivity.
• Established fixture verification program for CNC machining centers resulting in an 80% reduction in non-conforming product.
• Designed a proprietary case hardening system for finished shaft material that reduced total labor by 70% and virtually eliminated scrap.
• Directed and managed full second shift operations startup – including staffing, training, productivity and P&L responsibilities.
• Recognized by Corporation for achieving startup goals on time and under budget.
MBA Operations Concentration, Ashland University, Ashland, OH 1994
3.8 GPA, Delta Mu Delta Honors Society
BSBA Management & Operations, Ashland University, Ashland, OH 1990
3.6 GPA, Graduated with Honors
AAB Accounting, North Central State College, Mansfield, OH 2004
3.9 GPA, Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society
Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, General Motors Institute Flint, MI, Attended 1973 – 1976
Graduate coursework in Operations management, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL 2009 – 2010.
Journeyman Millwright - Completed Apprenticeship in OH and received certification in 1979.
Similar ResumesHuman Resources Management Manager Development
Westwood, MA - applicant, recruiter, hris, dba, peoplesoft,...Operations, Manufacturing Manager, Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Maryville, TN - engineering analyst, core competencies, wps, aspx,...Maintenance Engineer Manager Quality Assurance
Bremerton, WA - canvasser, control system, province, arms,...Engineer Mechanical Design Manufacturing Engineering
Huntsville, AL - grumman, northrop, manufacturing engineering, bdm,...Engineer Software Technician Programmer Manufacturing
Iowa City, IA - cmm, programmer, tester, injection, engineer, cad,...Engineer Quality Mechanical Process Experience
Bensenville, IL - quality engineer, engineer, mechanical engineer,...Welder/millwright
Noxapater, MS - welder, inspector, welding, millwright, fitter,...Project Manager Engineer Manufacturing Management
Mason, OH - engineer, plc, controls engineer, electrical,...journeymen electrician
Bolingbrook, IL - electrician, electrical, electrical maintenance,...Engineer Management Design Engineering Production
Bowling Green, KY - bowling green, product engineer, cnc programming,...