BRANDON S. COATS*** ********* ****, *****, ** **
HOME: (734) ***-****
CELL: (734) ***-****
Events and Promotions Manager position that utilizes my extensive experience driving revenue generating events and implementing on-site and off-site promotions and capitalizes on my experience with successfully supervising events and building relationships with multiple retail stakeholders, as well as off-site coordination, online social networking, market research, budget management, print and online development, and budgeting & media buying/planning.
BORDERS GROUP INC. Ann Arbor, Michigan
National Event Specialist September, 2004 to March, 2009
Repeated success cultivating and managing profitable author and musical performance events. Proven record of identifying artists and authors that draw traffic and sales to stores in key markets. Maintain knowledge on current trends and research historical date. Developed corporate partnership alliances to promote events through multiple media campaigns. Consensus-driven team leader and contributor. Personally managed events, executed on site needs of audio, visual, and event set up for author and artist performances for hundreds of vendor accounts, music labels, film companies and publishers in Borders Stores nationwide. Facilitated long-term business relationships with distributors, publishers, district marketing managers and corporate partners to ensure successful events. Developed marketing strategies, ordered product, updated and maintained event database. Analyzed cost reporting and event results. Worked with store and marketing team to assist in positive strategies of promotion, secure store date and time availability, and event execution details. Wrote ad-copy for web sites, flyers and newspapers.
• Sales Increases – From 2007 to 2008, reported a 45% increase in individual sales, 68% increase for average events sales, and the National Event Specialist team achieved a 37% department sales increase, which was an increase of $1.1 Million.
• Incremental Increase - Created and secured Borders exclusive tours of artists and authors which resulted in an additional $100,000 in sales.
Vendor Liaison May, 2002 – September 2004
Database maintenance. Assisted management in vendor Business Reviews. Supported buying and marketing staff. Developed a working knowledge of the database, vendors, terms, returns, representative names, structure, and corporate history. Developed and maintained a rapport with vendor representatives and associated staff. Facilitated the returns process, including refused returns, and obtaining authorizations. Scheduled vendor appointments. Maintained vendor archives.
• Special projects – Integral member of the project team assembled to develop a better vendor reporting, inventory control, and the defunct process.
• Additional Buyer Responsibilities - Involved with marketing, buying, and allocating budget music.
Borders Outlet Store Manager November, 2000 to May 2002
Managed 60,000 units of inventory. Organized and implemented in-store promotional events. Daily managerial tasks included writing schedules and profit and loss statements. Enforced company policies, customer service and personnel training. Planned and executed all local store advertising and promotion. Managed two locations simultaneously for several months.
• Store Performance - Implemented process improvements resulting in the store increases from last in net sales to a sales leader in only one year.
• Multiple Store Efficiency - Managed an additional temporary store in Kalamazoo, Michigan to liquidate inventory held at a corporate warehouse. Designed store layout and established store set-up and store closing procedures. Promoted store to a new market segment.
MIDWEST RADIO GROUP Battle Creek, Michigan
Account Executive April 2000 to November 2000
Developed client relationships and promoted advertising spots. Participated in promotional events, including remote broadcasts and charity fundraisers. Maintained an exclusive client list and provided general station support. Worked cohesively with fellow account executives as well as production staff on radio talent to develop effective marketing strategies for clients.
TRANSWORLD INC., Camelot MUSIC Portage, Michigan
Store Manager October, 1998 to March, 2000
Managed stores carrying up to 200,000 units of inventory. Organized and implemented in-store promotional events. Implemented process improvements resulting in the store improving from last in net sales to a sales leader in only one year. Daily managerial tasks included writing schedules and profit and loss statements. Enforced company policies, customer service and personnel training.
• Advance Marketing Efforts - Introduced events concept to the music store with in-store performance and signings to draw in store traffic and sales.
• Rapid Advancement – Started as seasonal help working my way up to Store Manager.
Bachelor in Business Administration, Major in Marketing
Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI
Course Highlights: Sports and Event Marketing, Statistics, and Advertising