Chao-Xuan (Charles) Liu
• 5+ years’ R&D in electrical engineering focusing on electronics, microsystems and nanotechnology with 2 pending patents and 10+ first-author publications
• Interdisciplinary background with degrees and experience in various engineering fields
• Prior experience in IP and patent-related areas
• Exceptional writing and interpersonal skills; quick learner and efficient multi-tasker
• PhD in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering (minor) Expected: 12/2011
Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept., Louisiana State University (LSU), Baton Rouge, LA
• MS in Electrical Engineering 05/2008
Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept. (ECE), LSU, Baton Rouge, LA
• BE in Control Engineering 06/2006
Control Science & Engineering Dept., Huazhong University of Science & Technology (HUST, a top 6 university in China, no. 2 in control engineering), Wuhan, China
IP & patent-related
• Filed 2 patent applications with own inventions: prepared technology disclosure forms; reviewed prior publications/patents and determined our technical novelties; presented at LSU IP office meeting; modified both provisional and non-provisional patent applications
• Audited two classes at LSU law school: Patent Law and International Intellectual Property
• Currently studying materials for patent bar exam and plan to pass in April 2012
Research Assistant (work listed by area), ECE, LSU 08/2006-present
Microsystems (or MEMS), sensors and actuators
• Solved a major technical challenge by developing novel approaches (microcontact printing and laser ablation) to reliably pattern polymer composites on micron scale; optimized techniques to improve patterning resolution over 5 times from prior works while reducing fabrication time and cost
• Invented large range (>45%) strain gauge and ultra-sensitive (1 Pa detection limit) pressure sensor; both systems with distinct advantages over commercial products. (world patent published)
• Obtained revolutionary capability to remotely control local temperature of a surface on micron scale; eliminated need for any conventional electrically wired heaters (applied for patent)
• Collaborated with colleague in design of a micro lens with focal length tunable simply by a voltage
Nanotechnology, polymer nanocomposite
• Realized state-of-the-art high-volume dispersion of nano-fillers (carbon nanotubes, particles) in polymer matrices; extensive processing & characterization experience with many polymers and fillers
Integrated circuit (IC) engineering, cleanroom lithography
• Experienced with all processes of cleanroom lithography; utilized various characterization tools (microscopy, SEM, TEM, surface profiling, etc.) for analysis and quality control
• Accomplished solid training on solid state physics, IC engineering and semiconductor manufacturing
Teaching Assistant, ECE, LSU 08/2006- present
• Lab Instructor for Electronics and Electric Circuits classes; designed 10+ analog/digital circuits such as radio transmitter/receiver, DC charger, alarm clock; lectured classes occasionally
IT Technician, ECE, LSU 12/2009- present
• Acted as assistant to computer manager; maintained hardware (server, PC, printer, etc.) and provided user support to all department personnel;
• Skilled software: Windows, Linux, MS Office, AutoCAD, Labview, Matlab, Cadance, COMSOL, C.
Summer Interns in control engineering and power systems
Three Gorges Dam Hydroelectric Power Plant, Hubei, China (26 700 MW, no.1 in world) 07-08/2005
• Worked in central control unit to implement control systems to regulate the output power of hydraulic generators; also familiarized with all basic aspects of power generation and distribution
Laicheng Coal Power Plant, Laiwu, China (4 300 MW) 06-08/2004
• Worked in unit of steam condensation to help realize centralized programmable logic controller (PLC) system through Rockwell software
Bachelor Thesis, Control Science & Engineering Dept., HUST, Wuhan, China Spring 2006
• Designed and simulated a speed control system for 3-phase AC motor drive using vector control
• Certified as Engineer Intern (EIT) in 02/2010
• Founded “IEEE EMBS LSU Student Club” and organized various events at LSU
• Ranked 1st out of 25 in Ph.D qualifying examination in LSU ECE Dept.
HONORS AND AWARDS
• George Reymond Scholarship (2 per year in LSU ECE Dept.) Fall 2010
• American International Education Foundation Article Scholarship (6 articles selected) Spring 2010
• LSU academic conference travel awards (won all 3 – max number) 2007-2009
• LSU graduate school supplement award (2 per year in LSU ECE Dept.) 2006-2009
• The People’s Scholarship (3 out of 321 in HUST CSE Dept.) 2006
• Third Honor Award in China Collegiate English Competition (5 out of 35,000+ at HUST) 2005
• Excellent Student Scholarship (3 times, top 10% students in HUST CSE Dept.) 2003-2005
1. J.-W. Choi and C.-X. Liu, “Apparatus and method for nanocomposite sensors”, WIPO Patent Application WO/2011/041507.
2. J.-W. Choi and C.-X. Liu, “Remote control of localized temperature via carbon based composite”, filed for provisional.
3. C.-X. Liu and J.-W. Choi, “Rapid patterning of polymer microstructures via laser ablation,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, in preparation.
4. C.-X. Liu and J.-W. Choi, “An ultra-sensitive pressure sensor patterned and embedded in a polymer diaphragm,” Sensors and Actuators A, submitted.
5. C.-X. Liu and J.-W. Choi, “Laser ablated micro-molds for the embedment of polymer nanocomposite,” Journal of Microsystems, submitted.
6. C.-X. Liu and J.-W. Choi, “Strain-dependent resistance of PDMS and carbon nanotubes composite microstructures,” IEEE Transaction on Nanotechnology, vol. 9, issue 5, pp. 590-***, ****.
7. C.-X. Liu and J.-W. Choi, “Patterning conductive PDMS nanocomposite in an elastomer using microcontact printing,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol. 19, no. 8, 085019 (7pp), 2009.
8. C.-X. Liu, J. Park, and J.-W. Choi, “A Planar Lens Based on Electrowetting of Two Immiscible Liquids,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol. 18, no. 3, 035023 (7pp), 2008.
Peer-Reviewed International Conference Proceedings:
9. C.-X. Liu and J.-W. Choi, “An ultra-sensitive nanocomposite pressure sensor patterned in a PDMS diaphragm,” in the 16th International Conference on Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems (Transducers), Beijing, China, Jun 5-9, 2011.
10. C.-X. Liu and J.-W. Choi, “An embedded PDMS nanocomposite strain sensor toward biomedical applications,” in the 31th International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC 09’), Minneapolis, MN, Sep. 2-6, 2009, pp. 6391-6394.
11. C.-X. Liu and J.-W. Choi, "Conductive and flexible nanocomposite patterns embedded in elastomer using microcontact printing and cast molding,” in the 12th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (μTAS), San Diego, CA, Oct. 12-16, 2008, pp. 1645-1647.
12. J. Park, C.-X. Liu, and J.-W. Choi, “A planar liquid lens design based on electrowetting,” in the IEEE Sensors Conference, Atlanta, GA, Oct. 28-31, 2007, pp. 439-442.
13. C.-X. Liu, “Microfabrication of conductive polymer nanocomposite for novel sensor applications,” in 2011 Sigma Xi Annual Meeting and International Research Conference, Raleigh, NC, Nov. 10-13, 2011.
14. C.-X. Liu and J.-W. Choi, “Carbon nanotube based sensor for monitoring of underwater oil contents,” in SETAC Gulf Oil Spill Focused Meeting, Pensacola, FL, Apr. 26-28, 2011.
15. C.-X. Liu and J.-W. Choi, “Patterning of elastomer nanocomposite via laser ablation for sensor applications,” in Material Research Society 2010 Fall Meeting (MRS), Boston, MA, Nov. 29-Dec. 3, 2010.
16. J.-W. Choi and C.-X. Liu, “A polymer nanocomposite microstructure for strain and pressure sensing,” in Nanoelectronic Devices for Defense and Security Conference (NANO DDS), Lauderdale, FL, Sep 28 - Oct 2, 2009.
17. C.-X. Liu, “Loving the deep south,” US Campus Guide Spring 2010, American International Education Foundation, pp. 83-84, Jan. 2010.
• IEEE, MRS, Sigma Xi, LAPELS (Louisiana Professional Engineering and Land Surveying Board)
• Founder and chair of IEEE EMBS LSU Student Club, organized seminars and other events;
• Co-chair of “US-China workshop on energy efficiency” in Tulane University;
• Chinese-English interpreter; CSSA choir team; volunteer at LSU and in New Orleans, etc.
• Reading, traveling, basketball, tennis, music (flute), film, and many others
Information Technology Training
Cayce, SC - ece, vlsi, undergraduate, located, technology,...
Power Plant Thermal
India - power plant, thermal power, thermal power plant,...
Power Plant Project
India - power plant, thermal power, hse, ece,...
Electronics and Communication engineer
India, Kolkata, WB - power plant, ece, thermal power,...
Need job in software or networking field
India - power plant, ece, sec school, coal, image,...
Power Plant Engineering
India, Chennai, TN - power plant, ece, sec school, students, plant, pcb,...
Power Plant Sales
India, Jodhpur, RJ - power plant, ece, r.n., kota, rajasthan,...