Process Control Engineer**-***** ********** **********, ***********
, fabricating, field installation, performance testing, commissioning, operation and operator training for simple retrofits to complex new process control systems. Interpersonal skills enhance work with engineers and operations personnel, both company and client, to integrate priorities and provide a superior project solution.
• Develop and implement process control solutions using Allen Bradley CompactLogix, MicroLogix, ControlLogix and SLC, Modicon Quantum and M340, and GE 90-30 processors
• Create clear and concise HMI/OIT graphics for AB, GE, C-More and EZ panels
• Proficient in Rockwell RSLogix 5, 500, 5000, Modicon Concept and Unity, GE Proficy software as well as HMI/OIT development with FactoryTalk View, PanelBuilder, GE Cimplicity, C-More and EZ Automation software
• Produce loop diagrams, I/O and interlock lists, P&IDs, test procedures and O&M manuals
• Experienced with field start-up, troubleshooting, modification and commissioning of process control systems including drives, pumps, valves, process instrumentation and associated control systems
• Improve operations efficiency and environmental compliance by developing and instructing operator training programs, both in house and at client facilities, with primary responsibility for ongoing remote technical support
Electrical Controls Engineer
Velocity Dynamics, Louisville, CO 2012 – 2014
Global leader in polymer hydration and chemical delivery systems for water and wastewater
Developed control logic, programmed PLC and graphical interfaces, performed process simulation, testing and commissioning, and provided field service support for industrial polymer activation and specialty chemical hydration systems. Created I/O and interlock lists, test procedures, and reviewed electrical drawings, P&IDs and O&M manuals. The control systems provide company standard and fully custom storage, hydration, activation, mixing and metered delivery systems for use worldwide in the municipal water and wastewater, mining, petrochemical, food and paper industries.
• Improved control system logic for tighter process control and easier field adjustment
• Implemented pre-shipment testing to reduce on-site program commissioning by 80%
• Expanded company HMI/PLC control system options to meet client specifications
Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Unicircuit, Littleton, CO 2010 – 2012
High-density printed circuit board manufacturer for use in aerospace, defense, and commercial markets
Managed Health and Safety for 170 employees, including OSHA and RCRA training and regulatory compliance for RCRA hazardous waste management and disposal, radiation monitoring, fire safety, process materials storage and wastewater discharge. Responsible for wastewater pre-treatment system operation and supervision of waste treatment personnel.
• Modified water pre-treatment system to support increased printed circuit board manufacturing
• Acquired new PPE and safety equipment for comfort and protection from aggressive plating chemicals
• Created new waste chemical labeling to eliminate the possibility of incompatible chemical storage or violent reactivity during waste treatment operation
Process Control Consultant
Self Employed, Golden, CO 2009 – 2010
Improved graphical interface and PLC control to optimize existing process and support new equipment to improve efficiency and reliability at a high BTU landfill gas system in Oklahoma City, OK. Specified and installed compressor system control modifications and improved remote operation capability to reduce downtime due to control parameter excursions. Supervised installation of landfill gas wells, transmission piping, and gas flare for an arid landfill in Ft. Collins, CO.
• Upgraded High BTU system control, resulting in improved equipment performance, increased landfill gas quality and throughput, and a 50% reduction in evening and weekend operator call outs
• Fine-tuned arid landfill collection system and increased methane collection by 20% from initial baseline values
Process Control Engineer
Behrent Engineering Company, Wheat Ridge, CO 2008 – 2009
Full service engineering and construction management
Converted specialty gas manufacturing process logic and HMI control from parallel batch to continuous operation in Longmont, CO. Modified control logic and operator interface from fully manual to operator controlled automatic for multi-step quality control gas transfer of bulk manufactured gas to sale cylinders. Supported control system for high BTU landfill gas processing system in Oklahoma City, OK. Upgraded process pump PLC logic to improve quality control for a brewery bottling line in Golden, CO.
• Increased specialty gas process productivity by 30%
• Decreased cylinder filling time and increased operator safety and product quality.
Senior Control Systems Engineer
Golder Associates, Lakewood, CO 1990 – 2008
Worldwide ground engineering and environmental services
Process Control Design, Field Installation and Supervision 1995 – 2008
Developed HMI/OIT, PLC and SCADA control programs for new and upgraded legacy systems. Selected process instrumentation and assisted with control panel fabrication. Created interlock lists, piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID), and operation and maintenance (O&M) manuals for industrial water treatment plants. Verified control system wiring and supervised troubleshooting during final construction, operational testing and system commissioning. Supervised site operations and developed and taught water treatment operator instruction program.
Engineering Support and Field Operations 1990 – 1995
Evaluated water treatment alternatives in the laboratory and in pilot plants. Provided engineering and office support. Obtained Colorado Water and Industrial Wastewater Level A licenses for start-up and initial operation of water treatment facilities at commercial sites and on DOE facilities. Commissioned process retrofits and new water treatment plants.
Created custom polymer delivery systems for an industrial pilot scale algae to liquid fuel conversion plant in New Mexico, a ceramics manufacturer in Colorado, a copper mine in Mexico, and a waste treatment facility in Bahrain.
Supervised personnel and implemented process improvements for a Superfund site at 12,000 ft. elevation in Colorado, peak flow of 1.5 million gallons per day (MGD).
Constructed and operated a trailer mounted mobile chemical precipitation, membrane filtration and activated carbon system for radionuclide, heavy metal and organic contaminated surface water on a DOE closure site.
Designed, installed and commissioned the control system and remote communication set-up for a closed gold mine in South Dakota, integrating Rockwell, Siemens and GE control equipment on a Profibus network.
Developed and implemented process control logic to support multi technology treatment of contaminated basin water and hazardous waste landfill condensate at a decommissioned weapons and chemical production facility in Denver, CO. Modified control logic and operator screens on a subsequent contract to support expansion of the treatment facility.
Designed, installed and commissioned controls, instrumentation and equipment for hydraulic cut off systems to pump and treat ordinance contaminated ground water in Nebraska and Colorado.
Chemical & Environmental Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO
CDPHE Class ‘A’ Water and Class ‘A’ Industrial Wastewater Operator