Mrs. Vijayalakshmi Santhanam
Technical Writer, Technical Editor, Instructional Designer, Technical publishing & Content editor
Technical writer, editor and instructional designer with 9 years experience in technical writing, managing technical documentation, 6 to 7 years in Instructional design, 2 years in training activities and 1 year in resume writing.
Major areas of expertise include:
Creation and hosting of technical documentation, for technical audiences worldwide.
Technical writing for products, services, processes – software, hardware, embedded systems, e-learning, publications, management documentation, etc.
Content creation for e-learning, instructional design initiatives, training perspectives, etc.
Interaction with clients, software developers, system developers, development teams, domestic & global marketing teams, R&D teams, subject matter experts for document creation, review and approval
Domains include Financial systems, Credit management systems, products like Smart cards, Migration from legacy to modern day OS, Telecom Billing systems, Oil and Energy software, CRM systems, ERPs, SAP, Embedded systems, Semi-conductors, E-learning, Networking – LAN, WAN, VoIP, VPN, Cloud computing, E-shopping portals, Knowledge management applications, Data Processing services.
Training in Technical writing, FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Style Guides & international technical writing standards.
Resume writing based templates and company specific guidelines.
B.Com., University of Delhi, India
Technical writing professional course from Adiptron
P.G. Diploma-Information Science
P. G. Diploma- Computer Programming and Applications
P. G. Diploma-Interactive Internet Technologies
Expert level proficiency in Authoring and Publishing Tools: MS Office, Microsoft Visio, Adobe FrameMaker, DITA, RoboHelp, Webworks e-publisher, Arbortext Editor, Adobe Captivate
Minimum working knowledge of Dreamweaver, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Flash, Snag-It, Adobe PageMaker, Media Wiki, Epic Editor, Dia, Gimp
Proficient Platforms: MS Windows.
Technical writing working knowledge of UNIX, Linux, Mainframes, Open systems
Accustomed to Version Control: Visual SourceSafe, ClearCase
Web Publishing tools, editors commonly used in technical writing
Over nine years as technical writer and six to seven years as Instructional designer, with hands-on product development management, cross-functional program management, system architecture and individual contribution. Most recently as project lead technical writing, training and Instructional Design with a technology consulting firm. Expertise in Technical Writing, product-process-service documentation for technical audiences worldwide, Instructional Design, Technical Publishing, On-Line Help Systems, White Papers, Documentation for Developers, Marketing Teams and Users, User Manuals, Content creation for E-Learning courses, Technical Writing Training, Style sheets, International Technical Writing Standards, for the print and electronic media.
• Technical Writer, Trainer and Instructional Design specialist, as Project Lead with Vinjees WriteAll, for the last one year. Working on a project of teaching fresh technical writers, on the use of Adobe FrameMaker. Just completed, a contract for preparing and rewriting a large number of resumes for a multinational company for their own engineers and staff, based on the needs of their projects. Previously on a major consultancy project in understanding of migration to DITA from their present SCORM platform. This was completed in five months for an e-learning software and product company in Bangalore handling a large team. Also handled projects on Business Objects, Business Logistics and several projects on Net Weaver application software. Introduction of the concepts of DITA and migration to DITA, to establish an understanding of DITA for SAP ba¬¬¬¬sed e-learning courses and lessons.
• Technical writing, ID & Content Writing for web requirements and online help using RoboHelp as a Freelancer for various projects worldwide, for three years & six months since July, 2007.
• Senior Researcher, Team lead Technical writer with TmaxSoft R&D center, S. Korea, 1 year 6 months. Was responsible for total documentation for their Korean and US outfit, including technical writing for their software development, migration from legacy UNIX systems to modern day OS/open systems, whitepapers, publishing, online help systems, establishing of documentation to international standards, user manuals, style sheets training material development for their e-learning initiatives based upon various client requirements, training program development for their various offices in documentation, technical writing and publishing. User interface documentation.
• Senior Technical Writer, Mindteck India Ltd., 2 years, 2 months. Worked on User manuals, user guides and editing of Release Notes at AMAT Semiconductors, Bangalore, India. With IBM Global Services, Bangalore, India. Worked on a brief project, writing for the project on JD Edson, using Bloom`s taxonomy. Worked on the creation of ILT, ELT, WBT and CBT projects handling the project as ID. Technical writing for a Linux based project. Infosys, as consultant. Worked on Nortel Networks projects creating user manuals, reference manuals and technical documentation, including API documentation. Also worked on some on-going ID projects.
• Technical Writing and Documentation as Team Lead, UshaComm, Kolkata, India, 1year 9 months. Worked on telecom billing software user documentation.
• Sr. Technical Editor, Tata InfoTech, Bangalore, India, 1.7 years. Worked on user documentation and online help creation, editing documentation for projects based on e-commerce and e-learning course initiatives. User interface documentation and reviewing.
• Technical Writer, Project lead, Software Systems Re-engineering, Bangalore, India1 year user documentation, online help, International Standards for technical documentation, style guides and basics of technical writing.
• Technical Writer, Team lead, Adiptron Computer Systems, Bangalore, India, Jan 1996 – Dec 1996. Learnt technical writing and various aspects of requirements in documentation and online help systems. Worked as part of a team, on various projects on Embedded systems and product documentation.
A brief summary of the various projects I worked on, during the course of my career with the different organizations I worked with:-
Development of documentation and white papers for Mainframes application & migration to Open systems. Catalogs and brochures for US based marketing. Online Help systems using RoboHelp and Webworks
Migration to DITA
Documentation for router and networking projects
Editing test case sheets and user documentation for various projects
Style sheets and templates- EDD, DTD- in FrameMaker for different projects. Style sheet development. Template development and management. Introduction of international writing standards and follow-up of the same.
Instructional designing – creation of storyboards and visualizing designs, for complex scenario based projects, editing, review and publishing of CBT, WBT tutorials, and creating PoCs. Migration to DITA projects from different platforms like SCORM& understanding of using for DITA for SAP based e-learning courses and lessons
Training and mentoring in documentation tools, Structured documentation & Standards.
Mrs. Vijayalakshmi Santhanam
Date of birth 01/07/1960
References can be made available on request.