Danvers, MA ****3
I’m seeking a position as a senior systems/network administrator that utilizes skill set and team management skills. I would love to join a growing team that keeps pace with new technologies.
9+ years experience including server administration, designing and implementing environments, disaster recovery and backup strategy, messaging administration, gateway and intranet security, monitoring.
Hardworking, self-motivated, able to handle multiple tasks, with excellent troubleshooting and client support skills.
Leadership in staff development, building an IT roadmap and client/vendor relationships.
Hardware: Dell and HP Servers, Compellent and Xiotech SANs, Brocade/McData fiber-channel switches, Cisco 3750 and Netgear switches, Fortinet and Juniper firewalls and SSL VPN, Raritan analog and IP KVM, McAfee Email Gateway (formerly SecureMail and Ironmail), F5 Big-IP load balancer, APC and Tripplite UPS, server and workstation building and design including server room design, build, and management.
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2000/2003/2008, Windows 98/XP/Vista, Mac OSX
Software: Microsoft: Exchange Server 2003/2007, Active Directory 2003/2008 and Group Policies, IIS 6/7, SQL Server 2005, Forefront Security for Exchange, System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008, Data Protection Manager, Office Sharepoint Server, and load balancing.
Others: Commvault Sympana, Veritas Netbackup and Backup Exec, Quest Messagestats, Solarwinds Kiwi Syslog, Symantec Corporate Antivirus, Kaspersky Business Space Security, Exclaimer Mail Utilities and Ipswitch’s WhatsUpGold.
Languages: Microsoft Visual Basic .NET, VBScript
Protocols: DNS, TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, SNMP, SMTP, SSL VPN, IPSec VPN, NTP, POP3, IMAP4, DHCP and more.
Non-Technical: Project management, researching and post-deployment management; Team leadership and management; Vendor relationship management; Staff training; Environment documentation and disaster planning; IT roadmap planning; Self motivated and self managed; Ability to handle multiple projects and priorities.
Bachelor of Science – Computer Science: Gordon College, Wenham, MA
Exchange 2007 Boot camp
Exchange 2003 Boot camp
Ironmail / SecureMail Certification
Commvault Boot camp
2008 – 2009 Global Relief Technologies Portsmouth, NH
Network/Systems Administrator, RAID (contract)
* Through a series of subcontracts, I designed and implemented an IT environment for a Department of Defense inventory and troubleshooting management website, including hardware, maintenance, and replication.
* Researched and recommended multiple solutions and budget proposals.
* Interviewed vendors, evaluated products, and designed contracts including negotiating over $100,000 in discounts bringing the project under budget.
* Managed junior administrator’s schedule and projects, including daily review sessions, and manager meetings.
* Designed and implemented edge protection using Fortinet’s Fortigate Firewall including IDS/IPS support, gateway Antivirus protection, firewall policies, SSL VPN and high availability.
* Built diskless, boot-from-SAN servers using iSCSI and Compellent SAN.
* Responsible for the following: F5 Big-IP Load Balancers, network managed UPS and Power Distribution Units, Raritan IP KVM, Cisco 3750 Catalyst routers, and HP DL380 G5 servers
* Installed and managed the following software: Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition, Ipswitch WhatsUpGold, Solarwinds Kiwi Syslog, Active Directory 2008, Microsoft DNS, Compellent Storage Center and Enterprise Manager for local backups and remote site replication.
* Provided assistance with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and IIS 7.0
* Designed and implemented scaled down disaster recovery environment with coast to coast replication as well as staging, training and demo environments.
* Designed both environments to be 100% remotely manageable and fully redundant to minimize downtime and provide easy 24/7 remote support.
* Managed 16 virtual servers (Microsoft Virtual Server and Hyper-V) for developers including development, training, staging and demonstration environments.
* Implemented over 40 of the DoD Information Assurance DIACAP guidelines leading towards full accreditation. Passed IA audit for both environments.
* Developed along with the Tech Writer, an IT Contingency Plan for handling downtime. Included designing failover procedures, recovery procedures at alternate site, and a troubleshooting manual.
* Designed a 24/7 monitoring application implementation including on-call support contacts, email and SMS notifications with a customer-facing interface for real-time reporting.
* Assisted in Panasonic PBX phone system rollout.
2004 – 2008 Gordon College Wenham, MA
* Designed and migrated company to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and 2007 environment including MAPI, OWA, Activesync and various mobile phone devices.
* Implemented multi-tiered protection strategy with anti-spam and anti-virus using the Fortinet Fortigate Firewall, McAfee SecureMail, Microsoft Forefront Security for Exchange and Symantec Corporate Antivirus.
* Achieved 99.9% planned uptime during my employment.
* Wrote custom .NET application to synchronize company directory information from SQL with Active Directory and Exchange distribution and security groups.
* Supported over 5000 accounts on-site, remotely and at four collocations.
* Trained and then backed up the Systems Manager, managing 50+ physical servers and 12+ virtual servers (Microsoft Virtual Server), 2 SANs, Juniper SSL VPN, Commvault Simpana (formerly Galaxy) backup software, Xythos document collaboration software, Quest applications, and Active Directory.
* See Appendix A at the bottom for more details.
2004 Lexington Christian Academy Lexington, MA
Network Assistant (3 month contract)
* As a subcontractor provided a wide range of technical support to faculty, staff, and students including Microsoft Office, networking and printer setups, presentation setup, media duplication, hardware repair, and more.
* Designed Microsoft Exchange 2003 and Active Directory 2003 environment for the company.
* Designed and implemented a cloned lab and workstation program, using Norton Ghost.
2001 – 2004: Gordon College Wenham, MA
* Established a pilot program for backing up college-owned PCs.
* Troubleshot server issues and did restores
* Provided on-call monitoring as part of a response team
* Upgraded servers from Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2003.
* Helped design pilot plan for migrating e-mail to Microsoft Exchange 2003.
* Provided onsite, phone and remote support for over 2000 users with technology related problems as well as setting up the computer labs.
* Trained technicians to support various applications including Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Norton System Utilities, intranet sites, helpdesk ticketing system, as well as teaching hardware troubleshooting.
Summer 2003: Logos Research Systems Bellingham, WA
Software Development Intern
Wrote internal applications for Libronix Digital Library System software
Summer 2002: Xiotech Corporation New England
Sales Engineer Intern
* Assisted in pre-sales meetings, product demonstrations, and installation of Xiotech SAN.
In addition to the recommendations I have received on LinkedIn, contact information can be provided upon request for other professional references.
“Blake did whatever he had to do in order to achieve his objective. He did so with a smile on his face and despite the pressures he was always willing to provide assistance to others. He has a vast breadth of knowledge and is able to learn very quickly.”
~ L. Selsky
“I would work with Blake again in a second. He's very sharp, learns fast, "gets" the business, is personable and able to deal with varying audiences and clients… I observed him just get it done again and again, no drama, just results. [He] took on and succeeded at a major IT infrastructure project with frequently-changing requirements and constraints. From planning to quoting to coordinating to building to testing, plus a great work ethic, I can only recommend Blake”
~ P. El-Azem
“Blake is a highly knowledgeable network administrator with a wide range of IT experience. I'm impressed with his ability to design systems and solve problems quickly and skillfully. He works exceedingly well with other team members and management, and he has an excellent work ethic.”
~ R. Klodenski
“I recommend Blake for projects that involve the utmost attention to detail and precision…I can count on a job done beyond my expectations.”
“Blake is a great person to work with. He was always extremely helpful… He managed a complete migration to Exchange for the entire college population. I would highly recommend Blake for any technical position as he is one-hundred percent capable of learning and executing new technologies.”
~ G. Hanson.
APPENDIX A – Detailed Experience
2004 – 2008: Gordon College, Wenham, MA
E-mail Manager, Backup Systems Manager
* Led migration and training of employees from OpenVMS to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. Stayed under budget by writing support manuals for employees.
* Achieved 99.9% planned uptime during my four years as Email Manager.
* Wrote custom VB.Net application to synchronize Active Directory with Microsoft SQL Server data.
* Provided tier-two and tier-three support to users of over 5000 mailboxes and accounts in four locations.
* Developed multi-tiered anti-virus and anti-spam protection from gateway to servers to PCs.
* Co-maintained Active Directory 2003 environment.
* Researched and supported mobile device access to Exchange Server 2003.
* Designed and managed network load-balancing across several Windows servers.
* Led migration to Exchange Server 2007 which is ongoing.
* As Backup Systems Manager I helped manage over fifty Windows servers including nine Exchange servers including design, deployment, backup, recovery, upgrades and * Service Pack installations; helped design, build and maintain server farm using Compellent and Xiotech SAN technology using iSCSI and Fiber Drives; supported several third party collaboration applications.
* Provided on-call support and remote access through VPN and Windows Mobile phone.
* Constantly evaluating and implementing new products and technologies in efforts to make the college more efficient and less costly.
* Significant experience with Windows SharePoint, Windows DNS, Windows DHCP, and Blackberry Enterprise Server.
* Constant self-initiated projects and training through IT publications, conferences, webcasts, etc.
* Managed Secure Computing Ironmail anti-spam/anti-virus gateway security appliance.
My primary role was to manage the Microsoft Exchange Server 2003/2007 environment. This included:
* Creation of VB.Net applications to support and streamline Exchange and Active Directory 2003 management. I helped the college save thousands of dollars by writing a program to help with the provision, management and deletion of Active Directory accounts and Exchange Mailboxes. The program used a custom file for settings and synchronized data between the Microsoft SQL Server and Active Directory.
* Along with the Systems Manager, I designed our Active Directory environment including Group Policies
* Developed Microsoft Outlook Web Access internal support page using ASP.Net
* Perform all typical Exchange functions including distribution group management, Global Address List population, securing SMTP gateway, and enabling mobile access.
* Researched and tested smart phone options for company employees including Windows Mobile 4.5, 5.0, 6.0 and RIM Blackberry devices.
* Researched and build environment for migration to Exchange Server 2007. Project is ongoing.
* Researched and implemented Quest Messagestats, Quest Spotlight on Exchange, Exclaimer Mail Utilities, and Microsoft Forefront Security using Antigen for Exchange.
* Researched various archiving solutions including those by Quest and CommVault.
Other main role was to manage the Secure Computing Ironmail appliance:
* Built reports for the Director summarizing spam, virus, and mail flow activity.
* Ensured outside parties could communicate with Gordon College without being blocked.
* Developed dictionaries to adapt to actively changing spam techniques and reduce costs.
* Implemented quarantined mail notifications for release and white list creation for employees.
* Researched Secure Web Delivery product to comply with HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley, and GLBA regulations.
Customer Service Technical Support
Orlando, FL - microsoft exchange, support engineer, exchange,...
Systems Engineer, Network Engineer, Security Engineer
San Diego, CA - series, vmware, network engineer, sas, remote, cnc,...
Jr Network Administrator
Suwanee, GA - microsoft exchange, tier, remote, ccna,...
IT Support Specialist
Houston, TX - desktop support, dell, active directory, support,...
Boston, MA - keeper, series, plans, global, firm, hris, hipaa,...
Customer Service Support
Spring, TX - servers, support, remote, build, active directory,...
Director/Sr. Project Manager
Fort Lauderdale, FL - microsoft exchange, migration, exchange, architect,...