J. Alan Corbin**** ******* *****
Greenwood, IN 46143(317) *** – ****
FOOD MANUFACTURING PROFESSIONAL
I present a successful career with proven accomplishments in business advancement by:
• Leading union and non-union environments of up to 11 direct and 300+ indirect reports as a Plant Manager, Regional Manager, Engineering/Maintenance Manager.
• Mastery use of preventative and predictive systems including initiation and advancement of CMMS systems, thermography, vibration analysis, oil analysis, root cause analysis, manufacturing utilities systems including Ammonia systems and PSM authoring, expert contractor management, safety programs and productive re-engineering.
• Specialist in Continuous improvement methods Six Sigma, SPC, Kaizan, 5S, TPM and Autonomous Maintenance.
• Use of cross-functional teams to improve communication internally in conjunction with operational KPI’s to drive a successful bottom line of P&L responsibility of up to $20MM annual revenue.
Nutriloss, LLC (IN) 2008 to 5-2011
Plan all aspects of a business start-up from procurement, logistics, site acquisition, equipment acquisition, source financing, and personnel acquisition to production, packaging, safety program, maintenance program, delivery, governmental compliances, quality control and customer satisfaction. This business produced a nutraceutical supplement, sold through advertising partners totally through the internet and supplied nationally from the Midwest. The owner has negotiated the profitable sale of this business to a buyer as of 1-31-2010.
Accomplishment: Start greenfeild capsule/bottling operation and grow to 2MM in sales within 2 years, poise business for sale to new owner effective 4-30-10. Increased 1st time throughput in operations by 20%, thus increasing quality on time shipments to 99% improving morale through success motivation.
Al Morrell Development (Baghdad Iraq) 2007 to 2008
Technical Regional Manager (1 year Contractual Position)
Manage the automation programming and production processes for the production of purified bottled water for the U.S. Military Government contract consisting of 34 MM 1-liter bottles monthly. This operation included 6 sites in Iraq located on military bases and therefore the necessity of extremely reliable production facilities coupled with adequate inventories, training and motivating personnel was paramount given the unpredictable logistics of manufacturing in a war zone. Critical power schemes, security and world-class preventative maintenance systems were crucial for continued 24/7 operation.
Accomplishment: Provide technical expertise to smooth plc programs and line speeds/transitions to allow continuous production with highest quality at a 99% theoretical rate. Also reduce waste and changeover times by 35% through LEAN training and TQM methodologies.
Alan Corbin Services Inc. (IN) 2002 to 2007
Consultant/Food & Beverage Industry
Provide operational and technical consulting services to major clients of the food/beverage industry. Some clients included: Cargill, National Starch and Chemical, Kroger Co., Rolling Pin Manufacturing, Three Hill Dairies, ADM, Ralcorp, Golden Technologies, Tate and Lyle, Calgon Carbon, Little Lady Foods and divisions of Rich Products. Consultations included production improvements through TPM methods, inventory recommendations, maintenance and engineering improvements, packaging waste programs and warehousing/logistics evaluations. I transitioned from this work into a position where I would have more total effectiveness on overall business performance.
Accomplishment: Provide technical insight to improve maintenance and engineering efforts in decreasing production unscheduled downtime to 3% or less of production maximum. Also impart knowledge to manage M&R inventory to 98% levels at the minimum cost involved by means such as consigning and vendor management methodologies. Awarded superior scores from 3rd party auditors such as: AIB, USDA, OSHA, EPA, and FDA without operational interruptions and/or fines and in addition I have worked with the latest auditing methods of SQF and British Retail Consortium.
Red Gold (IN) 2000 to 2002
Manage and develop the maintenance department of the Midwest’s largest continuous thermal tomato canner, including; project and process engineering and installation, maintenance of governmental compliance with specific programs like Lock Out/Tag Out, Confined Space, HazMat, environmental issues, etc. Continued efforts with PLC programming and training of maintenance staff, workforce evaluation and training and recruitment vastly improved the technical stance of this plant.
Accomplishment: Rebuild pack equipment in such a way as to provide an uptime during the 165, 24/7 days of pack to 1% or less unscheduled downtime while maintaining a normal labeling business for a full year schedule.
N. Hunt Moore & Assoc. (TN) 1996 - 2000
Corn Division Manager
Managed corn division; wet milling germ dewatering equipment expert; sales, service and installation worldwide; marketing of new lines; wrote technical manuals; quote specific machine for foreign applications; quality control and engineering. Saturation of this market led to the company owner contracting this segment out to a field technician service.
Accomplishment: Sell the Frannino dewatering press to 100% of corn wet millers in North America and provide 100% customer satisfaction with support and service for 4 years.
John Sexton Foods (IN) 1992 – 1996
Retort canning USDA meat products, Kosher Experience, Dressings, Liquid Bottle Filling, and Dry Products. Plant manager for 3-fold operation: USDA canning (retort operation), salad dressings (dressing and mayonnaise), and liquid production/filling (water, vinegar, cleaner products). This operation was purchased by a California company and all production moved to the West Coast versus upgrading our old facility and continuing distribution from the Midwest.
Accomplishment: Reduce unplanned downtime by 60% and increase equipment reliability by 100% by implementing appropriate Preventive Maintenance programs, Equipment Failure Predictability and Continuous Improvement Methods.
National Starch & Chemical (IN) 1980 – 1992
Corn Milling Starch Products, Maintenance and Engineering, project management, contractor management, utilities management, instrumentation dept. management.
Accomplishment: Manage outside contractor workforce of 150 to 99% on-time schedule and 100% within budget of 13.3 million annually for original scope of work.
B.S. (Industrial Management) Auburn University Auburn, AL 1980
• Retort Canning and Continuous Thermal Canning Experience
• P & L Responsibility along with Budgets and Cost Control
• Multi-Plant Management Experience
• Continuous Improvement Methods
• Audit Expertise (AIB, OSHA, Kosher, Environmental, Insurance, etc.)
• Pneumatic Design and Troubleshooting
• Refrigeration Systems Design and Troubleshooting (Ammonia and Freon)
• PLC Programming and Troubleshooting
• Technical Personnel Training and Cross-Training
• Power Generation, Distribution and Switchgear
• Power Equipment Maintenance and Upgrade
• Project and Process Engineering
• Union and Non-Union Supervision & Contract Negotiations
• Recruitment and Retention of Salaried and Hourly Personnel
• Food and Beverage GMP’s
• High Speed Packaging
• Wastewater Treatment and Compliance
• Production Flow and Plant Layout