EDWARD L. KOWALSKI**** **** **** *****
Summerfield, North Carolina 27358
Extensive multi-functional background in management, operations, manufacturing, sales, marketing, project management, quality and R&D across a broad range of industries. Innovative creative problem solver who bridges long term strategies into current business needs with a demonstrated ability to improve cash flow, boost sales volume and consistently lower operational costs.
Executive Leadership Competencies
• Sales / Marketing Strategy / Planning • QA / Six Sigma / Lean • Regulatory Compliance
• Program / Product Management • Business Development • Multi Site Operation Management
• Material / Product Development / Test • New Product Launch • Staff & Policy Development
Manager Regulatory Compliance
2010 – Present Select Comfort: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Established regulatory compliance program including documentation management, quality assurance and engineering specifications.
• Improved R&D efficiency by 50% by streamlining the engineering change order (ECO) process
• Optimized product design saving $6MM annually in material costs
• Established compliance program in preparation for federal regulators
• Prepared action plan of internal audit findings for presentation to board of directors
• Wrote SOP’s and trained internal personnel on maintaining compliance
Principal / Managing Partner
2009 – 2010 Global Product Solutions: Summerfield, North Carolina
Provide consulting / sales / marketing services for new material / process / product / business development and growth for established North American companies with an under exploited capability.
• Assist management to identify new business opportunities
• Develop business / sales / marketing plans and quality management systems.
• Technical sales / marketing of new product introductions.
Vice President of Business Development
2007 – 2009 Precision Textiles: Totowa, New Jersey
Identify and develop new accounts in the apparel, automotive and home furnishings industries. Work closely with current / potential customers to identify project requirements including, performance, cost, and compliance to federal regulations.
• Performed research on new projects that support corporate growth strategy.
• Identified new product offerings to meet customer requirements for cost and performance.
• Audited and trained operations, quality and customers on regulatory record keeping requirements.
• Used statistical process control methods to reduce scrap rate by 15% saving $3M.
• Developed products for the home furnishing industry increasing sales to $25M within 18 months.
Corporate Vice President of Product Development / Director of Regulatory Compliance
2000 – 2006 Sealy: Trinity, North Carolina
Managed research and test staff on advanced product development programs including new or improved materials or manufacturing processes. Established mistake-proof product designs, manufacturing processes and quality systems to assure compliance with state and federal regulations.
• Introduced new materials that developed a brand of specialty bedding increasing sales by $200M.
• Designed industry standard test methods to reduce FR critical materials cost by $18M.
• Designed and built automated open flame laboratory saving $3.2M annually in outside test costs.
• Reduced product return rate by 25% by improving product packaging.
• Established supplier self-certification quality systems reducing the customer return rate by 50%.
Vice President Technology
1999 – 2000 Collins & Aikman: Plymouth, Michigan
Managed all aspects of technology development and marketing for North America including new product innovation, intellectual property, and global technology roadshows.
• Designed and implemented a structured global product development plan that reduced product development cycle time by 50%.
• Designed North American product development division organizational structure increasing exposure to global OEM customers by 30%.
• Developed a technical marketing strategy that increased sales by 12%.
• Increased net income by 300% by supporting global account managers with new product innovation at customer technical sales presentations.
Global Senior Program Leader
1995 – 1999 Lear Corporation: Southfield, Michigan
Managed core-engineering team for advanced interior related safety systems (pillars, headliners, door panels, instrument panels, floor systems) for FMVSS (201,208,214) compliance including design, materials, processes, attachment strategies, FEA, FMEA and DFM. Developed marketing strategies that showcased technical advantages for global sales teams.
• Designed component level dynamic head impact test methods to reduce product development time by 50%, tooling costs by $3M while increasing sales to global customers by 25%.
• Developed and patented sustainable integrated safety overhead systems with enhanced acoustic properties for next generation vehicle telematics.
Senior Test Engineer
1991 – 1995 TRW Vehicle Safety Systems: Washington, Michigan
Managed, developed, and validated new airbag inflators and modules including specifications, procedures, programs and test plans to meet performance / program timing requirements.
• Created method to standardize ballistic testing reducing propellant scrap rate by $2.6M.
• Established ISO based quality certification system including staffing of onsite calibration lab.
• Performed life cycle testing including temperature, humidity, and vibration.
• Updated BOM, specifications and test procedures.
Master of Science - Administration Central Michigan University: Mt. Pleasant, Michigan
Bachelor of Science - Electronic Engineering Siena Heights College: Adrian, Michigan