Engineer Management Project Engineering Manager
|John C. Wortham
Security Clearance – NACI
- Project Management
- System Engineering
- Technical Writing
- Committed to ownership of responsibilities.
- Passion for excellence in performance and safety.
- Managed multiple task teams in NASA Space Shuttle Program which successfully activated, operated, refurbished or upgraded fixed and mobile hardware systems; project costs ranged from $300,000 to $6 million, schedules spanned six months to four years, ensured integration with program level and Integrated Master Schedules, monitored progress, assessed program status, and identified performance issues in a timely manner. When required, formulated and recommended corrective action measures such as schedule revisions, manpower adjustments, obtaining required resources, insuring fund allocations, and adjusted work requirements. Task completions had no ‘critical path’ schedule impact.
- Served as prime system engineer for Orbiter environmental purge hardware during ground processing for nine Shuttle missions and Orbiter ground cooling equipment for more than 30 Shuttle missions, requiring schedule risk assessments, mitigation planning, providing technical assistance in resolving scheduling conflicts, developing recovery plans to ensure program milestones were completed.
- Developed excellent ‘customer relationship management’ capabilities through interface with program management, focus on NASA technical customer’s needs, proactive inquiries to functional leads, involvement in several management-sponsored initiatives, and insuring hardware availability by working well in a team environment to balance the needs of disparate user/provider organizations.
- Prepared and coordinated ten multi-disciplinary Shuttle Propellant Tanking Simulations to preserve/ enhance troubleshooting skills and protocol familiarity for the relevant engineering disciplines.
- Created and maintained over 250 work instruction sets (e.g. operational, testing, repair, modification) necessitating coordination and review activities with support team members, determined, monitored, and reviewed operational schedules and manpower requirements
- Participated in evaluation and negotiations with customer regarding ground cooling system designs for future NASA human spaceflight efforts, to analyze effects of project upon various areas such as Engineering, Facilities, and the labor pool to determine the most practical and cost-efficient approach.
- Initiated hardware designs that improved operational efficiency or eliminated process gaps.
- Reviewed costs, operational budgets and schedules, then defined a method for ‘refrigerant exchange’ that reduced logistics materiel costs over $200,000.
- Consistently achieved “Exceeds Expectations” or “Exceptional” ratings for Initiative, Work Quality and Work Quantity categories, as well as an ongoing aggregate “Exceeds Expectations” rating.
Capabilities – Software
- Microsoft – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project power user; competent in Access, Visio, Draw
- Solumina – Engineering Authoring, Industrial Engineering, Future Work Instruction Team assessment
- MAXIMO (4.x; 7.x) – Engineering Authoring, Equipment/PM/Routing hierarchy, Condition Monitoring
- B.S., Business Administration, Emphasis in Management – University of Central Florida
- Applied corporate policies and relevant Federal, NASA and industry safety, environmental and processing regulations to assigned Fluid, Mechanical and Electrical responsibilities.
- Represented group/department/directorate for management-sourced efforts such as assessing use of modern tools (graphics, video’s etc.) for work procedure development, analysis of integrated planning critical path methodology, network development and problem resolution and resulting schedule presentations, defining causes and developing metrics for intra-release work instruction changes, supported proposal activities to upgrade refrigeration hardware to new EPA rules, including resolving proposal preparation problems, and assisting in a NASA process requirements simplification effort that assessed progress against established plans and parameters.
- Developed / directed development of various software applications including multi-user Refrigerant Tracking supporting trend analysis and metrics development, Space Shuttle Vent Door payload damage prevention, a logistics ‘parts characteristics’ search, several Work Instruction authoring enhancements, and assessing Voice Input Recognition.
- Proposed multiple innovative processing concepts, including two NASA New Technology submittals (leading-edge “active schematic” concept for creating work instructions; refined pressure vessel processing approach) that were derived from a prior work instruction proposal integrating design, hardware, planning and shop needs.
- Received over two dozen NASA or corporate commendations/awards, including a 2011 ‘United Space Alliance Corporate Quality Award’ and a 2007 NASA award due to anticipating and preparing for an unplanned contingency landing site need.
Training / Courses
- Pro Engineer/Wildfire 4.0 – CAD Modeling
- United Space Alliance – Integrated Project Management / Earned Value Management
- United Space Alliance – Requirements Lifecycle Project Management
Excerpts from Awards, Commendations and Personal References:
- “...is being recognized for his commitment to systems engineering practices, relentless determination for technical excellence, and protection of process quality…” (D. Ciccateri, Deputy Chief Engineer, USA)
- “… in the months preceding this event, Chuck… had pushed the issue of being able to support… to at least have a plan in place in the remote case that it was needed, knowing there would not be time to do it once is was needed…” (NASA Teamwork Award, author unknown, USA)
- “Mr. Wortham’s efforts have yielded exemplary results… his efforts have gone far beyond what is normally asked… his dedication, professionalism and personal integrity are unequalled” (D. Schafer, Lead PVD Flight Systems Engineer, NASA/KSC)
- “… always a self-starter, requiring little supervision for day to day responsibilities. Work was accomplished on time or ahead of milestones… Chuck was always reliable, timely and responsive in support of a demanding 24/7 schedule.” (D. Murray, PVD/ECS/Ground Cooling Supervisor, USA)
- “… a very self-motivated and results oriented individual. He consistently thought out of the box when it came to solving specific technical problems with the complex Space Shuttle Orbiter ground support equipment…” (P. Brinko, Senior Technical Manager, USA)
Similar ResumesShop Supervisor
Elk City, OK - ok, available upon request, available upon,...QA Analyst/ Developer
India, Hyderabad, AP - sample, java, developer, engg, delhi, sap, r2, qa,...MIS Executive
India, ghaziabad, UP - vitae, curriculum vitae, format, mis, pvt ltd,...IT Executive
Rockledge, FL - saturn, engineer, bpo, systems engineer, common,...Sr Developer & Analyst
India, Bengaluru, KA - developer, java, bangalore, india, r12, server,...SEO Fresher
India - fresher, seo, php, bangalore, java, engine, oracle,...Plant Manager
Nashville, TN - plant manager, welding, plant, qc, superintendent,...Secretary skills
Detroit, MI - curriculum, jennifer, mi, detroit, secretary,...Service Director
Deltona, FL - aviation, painter, fuel, army, ford, fleet, driver,...Quality Control Medical Blood Bank Clinical Specialist
United States - scientist, blood bank, clinical, instrument, fda,...