FRED A. MILLETT E:firstname.lastname@example.org***** ****** **** **. *
: (616) *** ****
Grand Haven, MI 49417 C: (616) *** ****
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
International work experience in Sales, Marketing, Engineering and Management, bringing new products/adaptations of products to the marketplace. Six patents issued. Diverse business background that includes building products, automotive, office furniture, medical/dental, appliance and general industry.
KEY WORDS: Global, innovative, leadership, perception, vision, tenacity, synergy, Staged Gate, NPI, VOC, versatile, team oriented.
PLEOTINT, LLC 2000-2011
Development and commercialization of chromogenic and privacy glass technologies.
New Business Development
Developed and implemented a customer strategy that identified new opportunities to win new business, and exercised leadership in the execution of the strategy. I am able to see inter-relationships of diverse products and markets that others miss.
Leadership of the cross functional launch team - proactively manage program launches to ensure that all Customer needs are satisfied.
* Engineering of window systems. Responsible for all application engineering of Pleotint products.
* Worked with the Department of Energy and national laboratories to get the Pleotint product tested and recognized.
* Government contract - principal investigator and administrator. Two contracts secured for over 1 million dollars.
* Technical contact for the Glass Association of North America, on several committees and chair of dynamic glazing sub-committee.
* Three patents issued on thermochromic window systems and privacy glass.
* Published articles on thermochromic and privacy glass.
* Speaker/lecturer at international and domestic conferences.
* Sales /technology presentations to Architects and major companies in windows, office furniture, glass fabrication, and appliances.
* Product champion in exploring new and emerging technologies and understanding the evolving role of that technology in the building environment.
* Ability to grasp and translate technical capabilities into benefits that add value for the customer.
* Developed marketing plans for thermochromic technology product introduction.
* Developed thought-leading marketing activities/content that was used to create awareness, credibility, and demand generation.
* Developed product positioning and messaging that differentiated Pleotint’s glass in the market.
* Customer / market intelligence and analysis for identifying technologies most likely to impact buildings and those occupying them for comfort, energy and productivity gain and utilized expertise related to them to develop recommendations for commercial opportunities.
* Introduced Pleotint developed dynamic glazing technology to the architectural and glass fabrication industry.
* Focal point for all commercial discussions / negotiations (contracts, cost, pricing- quotation preparation, etc.). Initiated a marketing agreement between PPG and Pleotint.
* Negotiate long term contracts, warranty terms & conditions and sample / prototypes availability.
* Presentations / tradeshows and supporting marketing material preparation.
* Developed the Pleotint.com web site.
* Established a network of international sales representatives.
* Point person for investor and press / public relations.
* Sales enablement – communicated the value proposition of the product to the sales team and developed the sales tools that supported the selling process.
PILKINGTON [LIBBEY-OWENS-FORD] 1993-2000
(Specialty glass products) Building Products Division
Manager, New Product Technologies / Manager, Specialty Coated Glass Sales
Worldwide sales responsibility for specialty coated glass. Product Manager (profit /loss) for specialty glass products including ultra flat, anti-reflective and electrically conductive. Product management functions of sales, forecasting, advertising, development of strategic and product plans for growth of the business.
* Guided the overall strategic product planning activity for specialty glass products.
* Crafted the strategic plan
* Gained consensus on the strategy amongst key leaders
* Pushed the successful execution of the strategy
* Application of specialty glass to high technology products, thin film solar cells, anti-reflective, electrically conductive, privacy and electrochromic glass.
* Specialty glass sales increase 88%, and gross margin improvement of 75% from 1994-2000.
* International member of new product development team
* Introduction of Pilkington fire rated architectural glass to the US market.
* Two patents issued, as part of a team to reinvigorate the commercial refrigeration market. One patent issued on switchable glass for an oven window.
* International experience in sales, marketing and engineering.
* Initial member of the DOE innovations of glass subcommittee.
* Member of initial team to develop a new product process (Cooper - stage gate) at Pilkington.
* PFMEA. FMEA, Program management.
DONNELLY CORPORATION (Supplier to the automotive industry) 1991-1993
Engineering Program Manager
Total Engineering Management responsibility for the Solid State Electrochromic (SSEC) mirror product. This was a new product group formed to introduce a new mirror technology into the heavy truck marketplace. The line functions performed included Engineering, Electrical, Mechanical and Industrial: Sales calls to fleets: Management of the Engineering program specifically:
* Technology presentations to major OE’s including Kenworth, Peterbilt, Freightliner and eight RV manufacturers.
* Managed production workers and draftsman.
* Engineered and sourced components used for manufacture of the circuit board and housing and for the electrochromic (SSEC) glass cell, including FMEA’s.
* Set up initial manufacturing systems for the SSEC products, responsible for all tooling, design, sample installations and specifications.
* Responsible for all Engineering functions including: support functions, prints, Bill of Material, standard policy/procedures and implementation of a change control system for SSEC product, budget accountability.
* Team leader and implementer of “lean” concepts for engineering.
DAKE – DIVISION OF JSJ CORPORATION (Industrial Equipment) 1989-1990
Total Engineering Management responsibility.
* Line management of six engineers (electrical, mechanical and hydraulic, four support people).
* Staff member to the President and operations team. Total budget accountability.
* Responsible for all engineering functions including: support functions, prints, Bill of Material, standard policy/procedures, liaison to sales and marketing.
* Changed how the Engineering department functioned.
GAST MANUFACTURING 1982-1989
(Pneumatic, vacuum pumps and air compressors)
Full responsibility of engineering new products with primary emphasis on new motor technology and advanced compressor design.
* Including design, application, manufacturing and adaptations.
* Accountability for design, testing and overall application of electric motors.
* Supervised laboratory technicians, designers and drafters.
* Responsible for interfacing with sales, customers, vendors, purchasing and manufacturing on motor and pump specifications and new product technology.
DOVER CORPORATION/BLACKMER PUMP (Industrial Equipment) 1981-1982
Manager of Technical Services
Product Manager for Hand and Truck Pumps.
* Responsibility for pricing, market research, new product development, competitive position analysis, product training, advertising and overall profitability.
* Responsible for sales forecasting of all product lines.
* Responsible for all application engineering of pumps.
UNIVERSAL ELECTRIC COMPANY (Appliance/HVAC Equipment) 1976-1981
Sales Engineer/Marketing Manager
Full responsibility for representing Universal to Original Equipment Manufacturers.
* Accountable for advertising budget and product plans.
* Trade show coordinator.
* Applied electric motors to customer applications.
* Designed and presented training program for new Sales Engineers and Manufacturing representatives.
* Both direct and inside sales responsibility.
* Increase sales of specialty glass by 88% in 6 years with a gross margin approaching 70%.
* Lead cross functional teams that designed and made commercially feasible several new product introductions:
o Thermochromic - dynamic glazing.
o New type of privacy glass technology.
o Electrically conductive coated glass for photovoltaic panels, electrochromic windows and mirrors, commercial refrigeration and EMI suppression.
o On-line anti-reflective coated glass.
o Hydrophilic coated glass, coating that make windows easier to clean.
o Solid state electrochromic mirror system for the heavy truck/RV market.
o Solid state start switch for short cycle compressor.
o Brushless DC motor to compressors, regenerative blowers and vacuum pumps.
o Designed a hot air/water solar panel utilizing shredded recycled tires.
* Successfully combined engineering, sales and marketing perspectives to bring the voice of the customer to the company.
* Re-organized an engineering department to improve performance.
Seminars attended: University of Chicago, MSU, Philip Crosby, David Buker, Dale Carnegie
* Negotiation and decision making strategies for managers.
* Manufacturing Excellence.
* Quality Improvement Through Defect Prevention.
* Effective Speaking and Human Relations.
* Glass Association of North America.
* Commercial Refrigeration Manufacturers Association.
* USGBC (United States Green Building Council).
* Junior Achievement Advisor, United Way, Cancer Society Volunteer.
* Initial member of the DOE-innovations of glass subcommittee.