Name Pranay Pathak
Date of Birth 26th February 1968
Father's Name Col P.S Pathak
Present Address: A - 40 Sector J Rail Nagar Ashiana Colony, Lucknow-226012, INDIA
(R) Mobile: +91- 983*******
Work Experience: 20 years+ (cumulative)
Organization Designation Profile Period
Etisalat Telecom Circle Head – COO UP(E) & Bihar Business head Apr 09 - Date
Idea Cellular Limited Asst Vice President Marketing Marketing Feb 06 – Apr 09
Bharti Airtel Limited Head Sales – Rural & PCO Sales and Marketing Dec 04 - Jan 06
Bharti Airtel Limited Head Marketing Sales and Marketing Jan 03 – Dec 04
Koshika Telecom limited Head Marketing / Head Postpaid & PCO Sales & Marketing Mar 96 – Dec 02
Pepsico India Holdings Executive Sales & Marketing Oct 94 – Mar 96
Jaypee Industries Management Trainee Sales Mar 92 – Oct 94
Dunlop India Limited Sales Officer Sales Jun 88 – Dec 89
Etisalat DB telecom Pvt Ltd. – Presently working as COO UP(E) since Apr 2009 and additionally COO Bihar since Jan 2011.
Presently working as Chief operating officer with Etisalat in UP(E) and Bihar. Etisalat is the largest operator in UAE and covers over 16 countries and 60+ Mn subscribers.
My job required setting up the operations of 2 new circles from a scratch including manpower buildup, network plan, business plans, revenue model and entire gamut of activities to ensure a smooth launch of Etisalat services in UP(E).
• Appointment of manpower for the circle
• Launch of services in 24 towns commercially in UP(E) and 35 in Bihar
• Completion of DoT testing in the towns on critical parameters and successful certification
• Appointment of 130+ distributors for the full launch plan.
• Readiness Circle infrastructure – Office, BSC sites etc.
• Completion and monitoring of regulatory processes and monthly compliances.
• Monitor and manage outsourced services and setup of CSD processes
• Manage inter operator activities and network service providers.
• Successful certification of MRO in UP(E)
• Leading and managing a circle team of all functions
I handled Bihar and Jharkhand also as COO since Jan 2011 as additional charge
This has been my 3rd Greenfield launch experience setting up the systems from a ground zero.
IDEA Cellular Limited – Worked from Feb 2006 to Apr 09 as Asst Vice President UP(E).
Responsible for business budgets through brand development, Market Share (gross & nett), revenue management (gross & nett), product pricing and developing new business streams and heading key Black / Green Belt projects in the circle. I also provided aggressive impetus to the sales functions in the circle and be key player in P&L activities.
The job required heading the entire marketing operations of the circle in terms of customer acquisition, brand, product and revenue management activities including VAS and roaming in terms of penetration & revenues. I had a team of 13 direct reportees to me.
• 2.1 Mn of subs base in 24 months of launch in a market of 6 existing players with 210+ Mn subscriber base.
• EBITDA +ve in 18 months of launch
• Customer Market share of 6.9% and Nett adds share of 10%
• Revenue market share growth of 14% highest across operators in the circle for Q2 08
• VAS revenue of 10%
• Brand score among top 2 telecom brands in the circle
• First 100k subscribers in 8 days
• Circle adjudged best new launch circle in Idea.
Some key activities were:
Managed the business plan and all Revenue activities for the circle. Aggressively worked on S&D parameters and key driving factors
Conceptualized and implemented the entire launch operations for the circle with respect to marketing and distribution plan for UP (E) including all brand activities like print, outdoor publicity advertising campaigns on the radio. This included managing the agencies and local vendors ensuring qualitative consistency and timely completion of the activities.
Was heading circle team for inter functional coordination for smooth circle operation
• Managed and monitor the entire market research process for qualitative and quantitative research for strategizing
plans for enhanced market share and addressing customer needs
• Managed customer life cycle in terms of usage patterns and VAS penetrations and roaming revenues.
• Managed key green belt / black belt projects in the circle with respect to productivity, cost reduction and optimization
Bharti Airtel Limited - Worked from Jan 2003 to Jan 2006 as Head Rural & PCO Sales & Distribution and Head Marketing for the UP (E) circle.
• Was the Head - Rural & PCO Sales UP(E) from Dec 2004 to Jan 2006
During this period I conceptualized and rolled out the ambitious rural project – first in Airtel circles in India. This required a pilot study and replication of the same across UP(E) in terms of Rural Sales & distribution management. I was the head of Rural & PCO sales & distribution and was responsible for developing the marketing strategy for towns with population below 1 lac.
• 750 locations identified and rolled out
• Penetrated catchment areas up to 5k rural population.
• Achievement of Gross and nett adds
• Achievement of revenue targets
• I was responsible for the entire rural sales management in UP(E) with a team of 4 managers.
• Was the Head - Marketing UP(E) from Jan 2003 to Dec 2004
This was a new launch and I managed all marketing, advertising, acquisition, revenue, VAS and roaming
activities for the circle at launch. The circle also garnered a dominant market share in a span of 24 months.
My key achievements were as under:
• I was the 1st employee of this new circle roll out as such played major roles in planning and development of
systems and processes. Developed the business plan (AOP) for the circle in terms of roll out planning,
subscriber projections, revenue plans, network planning, regional structure, distribution and marketing
policies, systems and processes and appointment of the channel partners in the circle. The circle was a first
time right launch and amassed the fastest 100K subscribers in Airtel history in 42 days. The circle over
achieved in terms of acquisitions and revenue targets for the year 05-06.
• Defined and Enforced Brand Standards in all aspects of the Mix elements to strengthen Brand equity &
develop and support direct marketing initiatives for the Company brands and ensure its consistency.
• Managed the media relations and press interactions to gain regular publicity in leading dailies.
• Developed the annual marketing and sales & distribution budget for the circle on monthly and annual basis.
Also conceptualized and designed the entire communication material such as brochures, leaflets and sales
promotion dockets for the customers, franchisees and sales team.
• Monitored and managed the tariff plans for aggressive subscriber acquisition. The circle achieved landmark of
fastest 100k subscribers.
• Monitored the revenue patterns based on traffic and segments to ensure enhanced ARPU and
effective rates across plans. Redefined the plans for effective penetration of the markets and achievement of
• Monitored and tracked the performances of 12 franchisees, 30 distributors and 6000 retail outlets during launch
phase in the circle in terms of their performance, signage, visibility and communication material. Besides these
also provided support in form of sales promotion schemes and channel engagement programs.
Koshika Telecom Ltd. - Worked from Mar 1996 to Dec 2002 as Head - Marketing for UP (E) / Head post paid sales and PCO.
Primary responsibilities included managing marketing activities and brand and product management activities for the entire circle. Achievement of post paid & PCO sales in the circle through channel and direct sales.
Key achievements were:
• Achievement of revenue and subscriber targets
• Achievement of postpaid and PCO subscriber targets
• Conceptualized, designed and implemented brand campaigns and brand building activities through outdoor
activities, print advertising and BTL activites for the circle. Also managed the press and PR activities
• Monitored, analysed designed airtime rate plans to achieve business targets. The products were designed based
on the traffic patterns and customer requirements.
• Developed strategic corporate tie-ups to ensure enhanced brand image, customer satisfaction and non-
conventional streams of revenue. Major tie-ups being Maruti Udyog and HDFC life insurance.
Pepsico India Holdings - Worked from Oct '94 to Mar '96 as Marketing Executive
The Primary responsibilities included market share management, Sales route optimization, developing promotional campaigns and managing new product launches. Key achievements were;
• Designed sales promotion and advertising activities to ensure Pepsi to maintain its volume leadership in
my territory of 3 towns.
• Managed equipment and resource allocation for 20 major accounts and 400 retail outlets.
• Led Pepsi 300ml launch teams in the cities of Lucknow, Varanasi, Allahabad and Gorakhpur.
• Developed an elaborate logistics system for the transport of beverages from plant to Gorakhpur to
Jaiprakash Industries Ltd - Worked from Mar '92 to Oct 94 for as a Marketing executive.
Primary responsibilities included distribution network development, market surveys and demand forecasting and achievement of monthly revenue targets.
Dunlop India Ltd. - Worked from Jun '88 to Dec '89
Worked as Sales officer: Primary responsibilities were Channel Development and institutional marketing.
MBA University Of Lucknow 1992
Diploma in German University Of Lucknow 1989
M.A University Of Lucknow 1988
Languages English, Hindi, German
Training programmes attended:
• NIS Sales training programme for Manager's and Team leaders.
• Pepsicola Institute's Sales execution and distribution programme.
I enjoy playing cricket Have represented local teams at club and district level. Besides this I like watching sports on television.
Evidenced and demonstrable career of start up, turnaround of underperforming, market share transformation and team building. Created fully integrated and focused teams, diverse and performance driven, of more than 1500 employees to date.
Created innovative and synergized impact on value chain through well rounded business leadership.
“Have ability to get ingrained, appreciate the power of network, quickly understand the importance of competitive differentiation, convert observations/decisions into actions, thrive on action/initiatives, understand the roles and relationships of each managerial function, have wide ranging curiosity and interests, respond resourcefully to new demands/challenges, keen instincts to create a climate where employees stretch beyond what they thought they could do. “
“Have invested valuable time in diverse positions to go through the business cycles, from envisioning strategy to planning, execution, evaluation and to the new strategy. Resilient, broad, evolved, functional, situational and contextual experience in multiple industries have drive and detail oriented”
“Have genuine commitment to diversity, experiments, entrepreneurial risk taking. Hold self and others accountable, display courage to balance short term and long term, make valuable trade off in conflicting situations, tackle problems head on and work to resolve them without delay.”